Shared virtual domains

  • Frédérique Da Luene
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hello,

      We are in the process of enhancing our mail system.
      Lots of dirty work ahead.

      Since we are hosting several domains, we've set our
      system (Postfix 2.4.5 on Gentoo) to manage virtual
      domains and virtual mailboxes (no Unix accounts). So
      far, so good.

      My question could be sooo obvious that I cannot find
      the answer. Virtual domains and mailboxes are new
      here.

      We want to "share" some of those virtual domains.
      We've found lots of documents about "shared domains,
      local accounts" or "separate domains, virtual
      mailboxes" but nothing on "shared domains, virtual
      mailboxes".

      What we want is to be able to say "virtual domains
      domain.[com|net|org] use the same virtual maiboxes. So
      addr1@..., addr1@... and
      addr1@... point to the same virtual mailbox,
      addr2@..., addr2@... and
      addr2@... point to the same (but different from
      the previous one) virtual mailbox, etc.". Without
      resorting to one-to-one aliasing of mail addresses, of
      course.

      How can we achieve this goal ?

      Tia,
      FdL

    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2007
        On Wed, October 31, 2007 10:14 am, Frédérique Da Luene said:

        [...]

        > What we want is to be able to say "virtual domains
        > domain.[com|net|org] use the same virtual maiboxes. So
        > addr1@..., addr1@... and
        > addr1@... point to the same virtual mailbox,
        > addr2@..., addr2@... and
        > addr2@... point to the same (but different from
        > the previous one) virtual mailbox, etc.". Without
        > resorting to one-to-one aliasing of mail addresses, of
        > course.

        You either need one-to-one aliases or multiple virtual mailbox map
        entries, i.e. either

        user@... user@...
        user@... user@...

        in the alias table, or