question about postfix map types for local recipient map

  • Ray Edwards ZREDWARD
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007

      Hi,

      We are implementing recipient address checking at our site.  I have been reading some of the posts to the lists and The Book Of Postfix, as well as the Postfix docs.

      I have a file that was built from LDAP of valid recipients. My list is a list of full valid recipients email addresses (user@...) followed by a tab with an "OK"

      We utilize Sophos PureMessage and their supplied Postfix. We are limited in changing the Postfix configuration because of support reasons.

      Here is the output from postconf -m:

      cidr
      dbm
      environ
      ldap
      nis
      nisplus
      pcre
      proxy
      regexp
      static
      unix

      From looking at the documentation, I would like to be able to write over an old map file with a new map file in order to not to have to reload Postfix after an update to the map. I think I was reading that you could not do this with some database types.

      Based on my current available choices, what would be the best database type for the  local recipient map? I  know some types seem to be for more specific information.

      Would the dbm type be best or would some other type be best.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 06:00:44PM -0400, Ray Edwards ZREDWARD wrote:

        > We utilize Sophos PureMessage and their supplied Postfix. We are limited
        > in changing the Postfix configuration because of support reasons.

        Configuration or release level of the binaries?

        > Here is the output from postconf -m:
        >
        > cidr
        > dbm
        > environ
        > ldap
        > nis
        > nisplus
        > pcre
        > proxy
        > regexp
        > static
        > unix
        >
        > From looking at the documentation, I would like to be able to write over
        > an old map file with a new map file in order to not to have to reload
        > Postfix after an update to the map. I think I was reading that you could
        > not do this with some database types.

        They only enabled "dbm" and "ldap" and not "btree", "hash", "cdb" or an
        SQL driver. So you choices are very narrow unless you install a better
        Postfix.

        > Based on my current available choices, what would be the best database
        > type for the local recipient map? I know some types seem to be for more
        > specific information.
        >
        > Would the dbm type be best or would some other type be best.

        I would try to use LDAP if you have the data in LDAP already, "dbm"
        can be problematic, especially if it is "gdbm", which is simply not
        supported due to a broken locking model.

        If LDAP is not an option, try "dbm" and see if it works. You must rebuild
        maps in place, it is not possible to build a temporary image and rename.
        If the locking works, you may be in luck (provided "postmap" never dies
        half-way through the update) if locking fails, scream at your vendor for
        not providing the essential database types. They really should include
        CDB support (statically linked).