Re: tag lifetime

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:11:14PM +0200, Christian Veigl wrote:

      > For how long is a tag (as seen in the postfix logfiles - all
      > uppercase letters and numbers) valid ?
      >
      > When will it be reused to identify another mail ?

      After the previous message with the same queue-id (what you call "tag")
      has been deleted from the queue and least one second after the creation
      of the original queue id.

      Log parsing scripts can detect queue-id re-allocation as follows:

      - A message enters the Postfix queue (not active queue, the Postfix
      queue as whole) only once, so if a queue-id is mentioned by an "input"
      process, it is not the same as any previous use of the queue-id by
      the queue manager or a delivery agent:

      postfix/smtpd: <queue-id>: client=...
      postfix/pickup: <queue-id>: uid=...

      bounce messages are internally generated, with Postfix 2.3 or later,
      the bounce daemon logs the creation of the bounce:

      postfix-out/bounce[6070]: <queue-id>: <notice type>: <original queue-id>

      If "notify_classes is not empty", protocol error notices from "smtpd" and
      "smtp" enter the queue directly, also the queue ids from above get a
      second log entry from cleanup:

      postfix/cleanup: <queue-id>: message-id=...

      this is a definitive indication of a new message in the queue, no prior
      use by "qmgr" or a delivery agent is the same message.

      - A queue-id is invalidated after the log entry:

      postfix/qmgr: <queue-id>: removed