Re: odd log entries

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

      > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No recipient
      > addresses found in message header

      Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any header
      recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.

      > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: warning: stdin:
      > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78

      The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.

      > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
      > malformed input

      This is normal:

      $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it

      will yield similar results.

    • Andrew Long
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007

        > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:
        >
        > > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No
        > > recipient addresses found in message header
        >
        > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
        > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
        >
        > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
        > warning: stdin:
        > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
        >
        > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
        >
        > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
        > > malformed input
        >
        > This is normal:
        >
        > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
        >
        > will yield similar results.

        I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
        way to find the culprit?

        - Andrew
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 01:55:30PM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

          > > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
          > > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
          > >
          > > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
          > > warning: stdin:
          > > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
          > >
          > > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
          > >
          > > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
          > > > malformed input
          > >
          > > This is normal:
          > >
          > > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
          > >
          > > will yield similar results.
          >
          > I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
          > way to find the culprit?

          The message is not in the queue, it failed local submission. Find the cron
          job or other application that is invoking "sendmail -t" (or empty command-line
          recipient list) and no recipient headers.