RE: odd log entries

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:10:19AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:
      >

      > > About three weeks ago, I started seeing the following in
      > logwatch/postfix section:
      > >
      > > Unrecognized warning:
      > > stdin: unexpected EOF in data, record type 78 length 128 : 1
      > > Time(s)
      > >
      > > **Unmatched Entries**
      > >
      > > fatal: No recipient addresses found in message header
      > > fatal: uid=0: malformed input
      > >
      > > I can see no cases where delivery is failing, but the
      > errors persist. This machine is only responsible for
      > collecting about 5 messages a day from some local servers and
      > sending them out to an outside smtp server.
      >
      > Which daemon is reporting this problem? The log sample leaves
      > out that crucial information. Perhaps you have a truncated
      > message in the "maildrop" queue directory whose permissions
      > are set to 0744 indicating that this is a complete message,
      > ready to be sent, but it is not in fact complete. It could
      > also be in "incoming", but "maildrop" seems more likely...

      Here is the complete entry...

      Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No recipient
      addresses found in message header
      Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: warning: stdin:
      unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
      Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
      malformed input
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

        > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No recipient
        > addresses found in message header

        Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any header
        recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.

        > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: warning: stdin:
        > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78

        The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.

        > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
        > malformed input

        This is normal:

        $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it

        will yield similar results.

      • Andrew Long
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007

          > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:
          >
          > > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No
          > > recipient addresses found in message header
          >
          > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
          > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
          >
          > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
          > warning: stdin:
          > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
          >
          > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
          >
          > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
          > > malformed input
          >
          > This is normal:
          >
          > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
          >
          > will yield similar results.

          I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
          way to find the culprit?

          - Andrew
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 01:55:30PM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

            > > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
            > > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
            > >
            > > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
            > > warning: stdin:
            > > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
            > >
            > > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
            > >
            > > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
            > > > malformed input
            > >
            > > This is normal:
            > >
            > > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
            > >
            > > will yield similar results.
            >
            > I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
            > way to find the culprit?

            The message is not in the queue, it failed local submission. Find the cron
            job or other application that is invoking "sendmail -t" (or empty command-line
            recipient list) and no recipient headers.