mbox mailbox works but Maildir/ gives unknown transport error

  • John te Bokkel / Tempus
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      I am setting up a small office mail server. The idea is to use it so
      that our outgoing mail shows as user@.... The current
      state is that we are using our providers smtp server for sending mail
      and our hosting service for receiving mail.

      Outlook is set like this:

      receiving mail server: mail.powercoreeng.com (astrahosting)
      sending mail server: smtp.broadband.rogers.com
      reply to: user@...

      during the next 2 weeks we will be switch office locations and
      internet providers. Our new service will have a static IP. Our current
      service is dynamic ip, I am just working on getting the config set so
      that it will be ready to go when we move.

      The problem I am having is with setting up Maildir/ style mail boxes.
      With setting like this it delivers mail to /var/spool/mail in mbox
      style.

      server john # postconf -n
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
      mydestination = $mydomain, $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
      mydomain = powercoreeng.com
      myhostname = server
      myorigin = $mydomain
      notify_classes = resource, software, protocol

      these are the settings I have for Maildir/ style

      server john # postconf -n
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      home_mailbox = Maildir/
      mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
      mydestination = $mydomain, $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
      mydomain = powercoreeng.com
      myhostname = server
      myorigin = $mydomain
      notify_classes = resource, software, protocol

      The log looks like this

      Oct 1 11:14:36 server nss_wins[14930]: fatal: gethostbyname("server") does not
      resolve as a fully qualified domain name.
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/qmgr[6923]: warning: premature end-of-input on pr
      ivate/local socket while reading input attribute name
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/qmgr[6923]: warning: private/local socket: malfor
      med response
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/qmgr[6923]: warning: transport local failure -- s
      ee a previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/master[5526]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/l
      ocal pid 14930 exit status 1
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/master[5526]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/local: ba
      d command startup -- throttling
      Oct 1 11:14:37 server postfix/qmgr[6923]: 57B9E273B79: to=<root@...
      coreeng.com>, orig_to=<root@localhost>, relay=none, delay=1.9, delays=0.03/1.9/0
      /0, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (unknown mail transport error)

      /var/spool/postfix/defer

      <root@...>: unknown mail transport error
      recipient=root@...
      original_recipient=root@localhost
      offset=172
      status=4.3.0
      action=delayed
      reason=unknown mail transport error

      /var/spool/postfix/deferred

      C? 407 207 1 0T.1191251675 34
      6862A.create_time=1191251675A.rewrite_context=localF.S.john@...
      ot@...@....N/Received: by server (Postfix, f
      rom userid 1000)N6 id 57B9E273B79; Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:14:35 -0400 (EDT)N$D
      ate: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:14:35 -0400N.From: john@N#To: root@...
      g.comN.Subject: postfix testN+Message-ID: <20071001151435.GA14923@server>N.MIME-
      Version: 1.0N*Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-asciiN.Content-Disposition: i
      nlineN$User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.16 (2007-06-09)N.N.postfix testX.E.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:21:19AM -0400, John te Bokkel / Tempus wrote:

        > I am setting up a small office mail server. The idea is to use it so
        > that our outgoing mail shows as user@.... The current
        > state is that we are using our providers smtp server for sending mail
        > and our hosting service for receiving mail.
        >
        > Oct 1 11:14:36 server nss_wins[14930]: fatal: gethostbyname("server") does not
        > resolve as a fully qualified domain name.

        There's your problem, fix it. The "nss_wins" library is calling openlog()
        and breaks logging by the calling process, and is also unhappy about
        its configuration. Perhaps permission issues for /etc/hosts, or it really
        needs an FQDN, ...