Re: odd log entries

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:10:19AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

      > About three weeks ago, I started seeing the following in logwatch/postfix section:
      >
      > Unrecognized warning:
      > stdin: unexpected EOF in data, record type 78 length 128 : 1 Time(s)
      >
      > **Unmatched Entries**
      >
      > fatal: No recipient addresses found in message header
      > fatal: uid=0: malformed input
      >
      > I can see no cases where delivery is failing, but the errors persist. This machine is only responsible for collecting about 5 messages a day from some local servers and sending them out to an outside smtp server.

      Which daemon is reporting this problem? The log sample leaves out
      that crucial information. Perhaps you have a truncated message in the
      "maildrop" queue directory whose permissions are set to 0744 indicating
      that this is a complete message, ready to be sent, but it is not in
      fact complete. It could also be in "incoming", but "maildrop" seems
      more likely...

    • Andrew Long
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:10:19AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:
        >

        > > About three weeks ago, I started seeing the following in
        > logwatch/postfix section:
        > >
        > > Unrecognized warning:
        > > stdin: unexpected EOF in data, record type 78 length 128 : 1
        > > Time(s)
        > >
        > > **Unmatched Entries**
        > >
        > > fatal: No recipient addresses found in message header
        > > fatal: uid=0: malformed input
        > >
        > > I can see no cases where delivery is failing, but the
        > errors persist. This machine is only responsible for
        > collecting about 5 messages a day from some local servers and
        > sending them out to an outside smtp server.
        >
        > Which daemon is reporting this problem? The log sample leaves
        > out that crucial information. Perhaps you have a truncated
        > message in the "maildrop" queue directory whose permissions
        > are set to 0744 indicating that this is a complete message,
        > ready to be sent, but it is not in fact complete. It could
        > also be in "incoming", but "maildrop" seems more likely...

        Here is the complete entry...

        Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No recipient
        addresses found in message header
        Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: warning: stdin:
        unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
        Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
        malformed input
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

          > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No recipient
          > addresses found in message header

          Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any header
          recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.

          > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: warning: stdin:
          > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78

          The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.

          > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
          > malformed input

          This is normal:

          $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it

          will yield similar results.

        • Andrew Long
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007

            > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:
            >
            > > Oct 1 03:00:12 authorization postfix/sendmail[15028]: fatal: No
            > > recipient addresses found in message header
            >
            > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
            > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
            >
            > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
            > warning: stdin:
            > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
            >
            > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
            >
            > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
            > > malformed input
            >
            > This is normal:
            >
            > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
            >
            > will yield similar results.

            I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
            way to find the culprit?

            - Andrew
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
              On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 01:55:30PM -0400, Andrew Long wrote:

              > > Something is invoking "sendmail -t", but not providing any
              > > header recipients. The postfix sendmail(1) program gives up.
              > >
              > > > Oct 1 07:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]:
              > > warning: stdin:
              > > > unexpected EOF reading length, record type 78
              > >
              > > The "postdrop" helped sees an incomplete queue file, and gives up.
              > >
              > > > Oct 1 03:00:13 authorization postfix/postdrop[15029]: fatal: uid=0:
              > > > malformed input
              > >
              > > This is normal:
              > >
              > > $ echo "this is test " | sendmail -it
              > >
              > > will yield similar results.
              >
              > I checked the queues this morning and they were empty, can you think of any
              > way to find the culprit?

              The message is not in the queue, it failed local submission. Find the cron
              job or other application that is invoking "sendmail -t" (or empty command-line
              recipient list) and no recipient headers.