Re: need some help: (refused to talk to me: 554)

  • Markus Schönhaber
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
      Jelle de Jong schrieb:

      > Yes, I followed the link and read it. I think it has to do with point
      > two on the list:
      >
      > Use of an IP address without a reverse DNS entry for E-Mail dispatch:
      > WEB.DE does not accept any E-Mail on its incoming mail servers
      > originating from IP numbers without a resolvable DNS entry. Update your
      > DNS zone files and afterwards contact us to re-evaluate your IP number(s).

      No.
      ~$ host 84.245.7.46
      46.7.245.84.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 84-245-7-46.dsl.cambrium.nl.
      There obviously is a reverse DNS entry for the IP 84.245.7.46.

      I'd bet it's the very first point on the list which is relevant here:
      WEB.DE doesn't accept mail from dynamic IP addresses.
      For example:
      ~$ host 46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net
      46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net has address 127.0.0.10

      Regards
      mks
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
        Jelle de Jong wrote:
        > Michael Hallager wrote:
        >> Are you running your MX on a home cable / DSL connection?
        >
        > Yes, I have a ADSL+ DSL Connection, It is legal with my ISP to run
        > Servers on the connection. Should I contact them, to fix my problem or
        > is there an other way, involving settings on my server only?

        ask your ISP to give you a meaningful rDNS.
      • Erwan David
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
          Le Sun 30/09/2007, Markus Schönhaber disait

          > I'd bet it's the very first point on the list which is relevant here:
          > WEB.DE doesn't accept mail from dynamic IP addresses.
          > For example:
          > ~$ host 46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net
          > 46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net has address 127.0.0.10

          LMore exactly from addresses listed as dynamic in sorbs. This does not mean they are indeed dynamic.

          --
          Erwan
        • Markus Schönhaber
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
            Erwan David wrote:

            > Le Sun 30/09/2007, Markus Schönhaber disait
            >> I'd bet it's the very first point on the list which is relevant here:
            >> WEB.DE doesn't accept mail from dynamic IP addresses.
            >> For example:
            >> ~$ host 46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net
            >> 46.7.245.84.dnsbl.sorbs.net has address 127.0.0.10
            >
            > LMore exactly from addresses listed as dynamic in sorbs. This does not mean they are indeed dynamic.

            Whether or not the address is indeed dynamic doesn't matter wrt the
            topic. If web.de uses sorbs.net or any other DNSBL that lists the OP's
            IP as dynamic[1], they won't accept mail from his IP.
            The above is merely an example (that's why I wrote "For example") that
            shows that there is at least one DNSBL that lists the OP's IP as
            dynamic. Therefore it is IMO very probable that the OP's problem stems
            from his IP being considered "dynamic" by web.de.

            Regards
            mks

            [1] Or, for that matter, any other means - like looking for "\.a?dsl\."
            in the reverse DNS mapping of the IP - that decides that the IP is a
            "dynamic" one.