Asking Open Relay

  • Marky Yehezkiel
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007

      Dear All,

      Firstly sorry for my bad english,  I have Mailserver and the function as MX, If I test from spamtest via abuse.net my MX can become open relay  and I know if I delete relay_domain it would be work I mean spamtest won’t get through but of course the MX won’t able to deliver email to back-end mailserver. And my main.cf configuration is :

      smtpd_helo_restrictions =

                    permit_mynetworks,

                    check_helo_access,

                    hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/helo_access,

                    reject_non_fqdn_hostname,

                    reject_invalid_hostname,

                    permit

      smtpd_sender_restrictions =

         permit_mynetworks,

         hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access,

         reject_unknown_sender_domain,

         reject_non_fqdn_sender,

         permit

      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =

                      permit_mynetworks,

                      reject_unauth_pipelining,

                      reject_non_fqdn_recipient,

                      reject_unknown_recipient_domain,

                      permit_sasl_authenticated,

                      reject_unauth_destination,

                      check_sender_access hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sender_checks,

                      check_client_access hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/client_checks,

      #                check_relay_domains,

      #               check_policy_service unix:private/policy

                      reject_invalid_hostname,

                      reject_unknown_hostname,

                      reject_non_fqdn_hostname,

                      reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,

                      reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,

                      reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org

                      …..

      Here is test result from abuse that sent me email :

      This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the Network Abuse Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net.

          Target host = ……..

          Test performed by <marky@...> from …..

      A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.

      Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spammers, and probable blacklisting by recipients of the unwanted third-party e-mail.

      For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party relay, visit <URL: http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_sec3rdparty.html>.

      Can any one show me maybe one of my configuration is wrong and is it any way how to use MX without relay_domain that caused it become looks like open relay domain. Thank you

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        At 12:36 PM 8/1/2007, Marky Yehezkiel wrote:
        >Dear All,
        >Firstly sorry for my bad english, I have Mailserver and the
        >function as MX, If I test from spamtest via abuse.net my MX can
        >become open relay and I know if I delete relay_domain it would be
        >work I mean spamtest won't get through but of course the MX won't
        >able to deliver email to back-end mailserver. And my main.cf configuration is :

        You didn't provide enough information to give a proper diagnosis or solution.
        Please show us unaltered "postconf -n" output and unaltered log
        entries from the relay test.

        Noel Jones
      • Marky Yehezkiel
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          Here is result after postconf main.cf :
          address_verify_map = btree:/var/verifier/verify
          alias_database = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/aliases
          alias_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/aliases
          broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
          command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
          config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
          content_filter = smtp-amavis:127.0.0.1:10024
          daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
          debug_peer_level = 2
          header_checks = regexp:/usr/local/etc/postfix/header_checks.regexp
          html_directory = no
          inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
          mail_owner = postfix
          mailbox_size_limit = 115343360
          mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
          manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
          message_size_limit = 80971520
          mydestination = $myhostname,localhost
          mydomain = ....
          myhostname = ...
          mynetworks = ...
          myorigin = $mydomain
          newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
          queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
          receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
          recipient_delimiter = +
          relay_domains = $mydestination, example.com, example2.com
          relay_recipient_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
          sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
          sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
          setgid_group = maildrop
          smtp_connect_timeout = 300s
          smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = no
          smtp_use_tls = no
          smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
          smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
          check_helo_access,
          hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/helo_access,
          reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
          reject_invalid_hostname,
          permit
          reject_unauth_pipelining,
          reject_non_fqdn_recipient,

          reject_unknown_recipient_domain,

          reject_unauth_destination,
          check_sender_access
          hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sender_checks,
          check_client_access
          hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/client_checks,
          reject_invalid_hostname,
          reject_unknown_hostname,

          reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
          reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
          reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,

          reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,

          reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,

          reject_rhsbl_client
          blackhole.securitysage.com,
          reject_rhsbl_sender
          blackhole.securitysage.com,
          reject_rbl_client
          blackholes.easynet.nl,
          reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
          reject_rbl_client
          proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net,
          reject_rbl_client multihop.dsbl.org,
          reject_rbl_client dsn.rfc-ignorant.org,

          reject_rbl_client blackholes.mail-abuse.org,

          permit
          smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
          hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access,
          reject_unknown_sender_domain,
          reject_non_fqdn_sender,
          reject_unverified_sender
          permit
          smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.pem
          smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.pem
          smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.pem
          smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
          smtpd_tls_received_header = no
          smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
          smtpd_use_tls = no
          tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
          transport_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/transport
          unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

          and here is log from my mailserver :

          Aug 2 01:21:12 NS3 postfix/smtpd[12836]: DFB3946CC22:
          client=www.abuse.net[208.31.42.77]
          Aug 2 01:21:14 NS3 postfix/cleanup[12834]: DFB3946CC22:
          message-id=<rlytest-1185992343-63628@...>
          Aug 2 01:21:14 NS3 postfix/qmgr[12823]: DFB3946CC22:
          from=<spamtest@...>, size=1117, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

          Please advice. Thank you,

          http://www.eset.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
            At 01:23 PM 8/1/2007, Marky Yehezkiel wrote:
            >Here is result after postconf main.cf :

            Is this the same configuration that failed the relay test? We need
            consistent information.
            This doesn't look like an open relay unless you've done something
            silly with mynetworks or mydestination. but it's hard to tell for
            sure since you've modified important parts of the output.

            Note that several of the RBLs you are checking are no longer in
            operation. Please review your list.

            >and here is log from my mailserver :
            >
            >Aug 2 01:21:12 NS3 postfix/smtpd[12836]: DFB3946CC22:
            >client=www.abuse.net[208.31.42.77]
            >Aug 2 01:21:14 NS3 postfix/cleanup[12834]: DFB3946CC22:
            >message-id=<rlytest-1185992343-63628@...>
            >Aug 2 01:21:14 NS3 postfix/qmgr[12823]: DFB3946CC22:
            >from=<spamtest@...>, size=1117, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

            This is incomplete.

            >Please advice. Thank you

            - Don't top post.
            - Include complete unmodified information with trouble reports.

            --
            Noel Jones
          • Marky Yehezkiel
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
              > Is this the same configuration that failed the relay test? We need
              consistent information.

              Yes it is same configuration. And I never change mydestination or my
              networks and I try from abuse.net/relay.html and from abuse.net/relay.html
              there is option to input your email account (register first to
              new@...) or using anonymous mode and If I choose anonymous mode relay
              test is successful my MX doesn't open relay but if I put my email account
              relay test is failed my MX become open relay. I assumed that because my
              email domain has MX in the MX that I tested and if I delete my email domain
              from relay_domains the relay test is success abuse.net couldn't send test
              email via my MX to my email account. Also can you show me the right
              configuration of main.cf for restricting become open relay? Thank you

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                At 06:22 PM 8/1/2007, Marky Yehezkiel wrote:
                > > Is this the same configuration that failed the relay test? We need
                >consistent information.
                >
                >Yes it is same configuration. And I never change mydestination or my
                >networks and I try from abuse.net/relay.html and from abuse.net/relay.html
                >there is option to input your email account (register first to
                >new@...) or using anonymous mode and If I choose anonymous mode relay
                >test is successful my MX doesn't open relay but if I put my email account
                >relay test is failed my MX become open relay. I assumed that because my
                >email domain has MX in the MX that I tested and if I delete my email domain
                >from relay_domains the relay test is success abuse.net couldn't send test
                >email via my MX to my email account. Also can you show me the right
                >configuration of main.cf for restricting become open relay? Thank you

                You still haven't shown us evidence you are an open relay. The
                configuration you posted earlier doesn't appear to be an open relay
                and your log postings were incomplete.

                The documentation describes how postfix decides to relay, and the
                logs show what postfix has done.
                http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relay_from
                http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relay_from
                http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html#relay

                Good luck.

                --
                Noel Jones
              • Sebastian Ries
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Hi

                  Am Donnerstag, 2. August 2007 01:22 schrieb Marky Yehezkiel:
                  > > Is this the same configuration that failed the relay test? We need
                  >
                  > consistent information.
                  >
                  > Yes it is same configuration. And I never change mydestination or my
                  > networks and I try from abuse.net/relay.html and from abuse.net/relay.html
                  > there is option to input your email account (register first to
                  > new@...) or using anonymous mode and If I choose anonymous mode relay
                  > test is successful my MX doesn't open relay but if I put my email account
                  > relay test is failed my MX become open relay. I assumed that because my
                  > email domain has MX in the MX that I tested and if I delete my email domain
                  > from relay_domains the relay test is success abuse.net couldn't send test
                  > email via my MX to my email account. Also can you show me the right
                  > configuration of main.cf for restricting become open relay? Thank you

                  Once I had a working postfix configuration but suddenly it became an open
                  relay...
                  After some houres of searching I found out that someone misconfigured the
                  firewall:
                  The NAT table for the mail server dir source AND destination NAT in both
                  directions. So all the connections to the mailserver seemed to come from the
                  internel interface of the firewall -> part of mynetworks :-/

                  Have a look at such things too.

                  Regards
                  Sebastian Ries

                  DT Netsolution GmbH - Talaeckerstr. 30 - D-70437 Stuttgart
                  Tel: +49-711-849910-36 Fax: +49-711-849910-936
                  WEB: http://www.dtnet.de/ email: Sebastian.Ries@...
                • Marky Yehezkiel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                    >You still haven't shown us evidence you are an open relay. The
                    >configuration you posted earlier doesn't appear to be an open relay
                    >and your log postings were incomplete.

                    Hi, Thank you for your comment and this is when I try from
                    abuse.net/relay.html :

                    Mail relay testing
                    Connecting to 203.80.8.36 for registered user test ...
                    <<< 220 smtp2.satnetcom.com ESMTP Postfix
                    >>> HELO www.abuse.net
                    <<< 250 smtp2.satnetcom.com

                    Relay test 1
                    >>> RSET
                    <<< 250 Ok
                    >>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@...>
                    <<< 250 Ok
                    >>> RCPT TO:<marky@...>
                    <<< 250 Ok
                    >>> DATA
                    <<< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
                    >>> (message body)
                    <<< 250 Ok: queued as 133BA2676EB

                    Relay test result
                    Hmmn, at first glance, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
                    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MEAN THAT IT'S AN OPEN RELAY.

                    Some systems appear to accept relay mail, but then reject messages
                    internally rather than delivering them, but you cannot tell at this point
                    whether the message will be relayed or not.

                    If it is really an open relay, the test message will be delivered to you. If
                    you do not receive the test message in your e-mail in the next few hours, it
                    IS NOT an open relay.

                    And queue ID is 133BA2676EB and from my mailserver log :

                    Aug 3 09:44:42 smtp2 postfix/smtpd[33877]: 133BA2676EB:
                    client=www.abuse.net[208.31.42.77]
                    Aug 3 09:44:42 smtp2 postfix/cleanup[34459]: 133BA2676EB:
                    message-id=<rlytest-1186104676-99995@...>
                    Aug 3 09:44:42 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[223]: 133BA2676EB:
                    from=<spamtest@...>, size=1125, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/smtp[34352]: 133BA2676EB:
                    to=<marky@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1], delay=5, status=sent
                    (250 2.6.0 Ok, id=34400-03, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 Ok: queued as
                    353B6267428)
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[223]: 133BA2676EB: removed

                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/smtpd[34360]: 353B6267428:
                    client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/cleanup[34481]: 353B6267428:
                    message-id=<rlytest-1186104676-99995@...>
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[223]: 353B6267428:
                    from=<spamtest@...>, size=1720, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/smtp[34352]: 133BA2676EB:
                    to=<marky@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1], delay=5, status=sent
                    (250 2.6.0 Ok, id=34400-03, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 Ok: queued as
                    353B6267428)
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/smtp[34220]: 353B6267428:
                    to=<marky@...>, relay=mail.satnetcom.com[203.80.8.39], delay=0,
                    status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 7B9505C39B)
                    Aug 3 09:44:45 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[223]: 353B6267428: removed

                    From abuse.net notification said that : If it is really an open relay, the
                    test message will be delivered to you. If you do not receive the test
                    message in your e-mail in the next few hours, it IS NOT an open relay.

                    And I able received their test message and here is the contain of the email:

                    This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the Network Abuse
                    Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net

                    Target host = 203.80.8.36 smtp2.satnetcom.net.id
                    Test performed by <marky@...> from 203.80.14.242

                    A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.
                    Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spammers, and
                    probable blacklisting by recipients of the unwanted third-party e-mail.

                    For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party relay,
                    visit <URL: http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_sec3rdparty.html>.

                    Because my IP was blacklist by dsbl.org and from the log I saw from outside
                    my network made my IP listed by sending email via my mailserver to
                    listme@dsbl please see from dsbl history :

                    Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:57:04 +0000
                    To: <listme@...>
                    Subject: Open Relay Test Message
                    From: postmaster@...

                    This message is a test of your mail server to determine if
                    it will perform relaying (re-sending) of e-mail messages
                    for unauthorized outside parties. This capability, if
                    enabled in your mail server, is widely considered to be
                    serious flaw in mail server security.

                    Your mail server is being tested for relaying capability
                    because we have received mail from it and wish to determine
                    its likelihood to be abused by spammers.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                      At 06:37 PM 8/2/2007, Marky Yehezkiel wrote:
                      > >You still haven't shown us evidence you are an open relay. The
                      > >configuration you posted earlier doesn't appear to be an open relay
                      > >and your log postings were incomplete.
                      >
                      >Hi, Thank you for your comment and this is when I try from
                      >abuse.net/relay.html :
                      >
                      >Mail relay testing
                      >Connecting to 203.80.8.36 for registered user test ...
                      ><<< 220 smtp2.satnetcom.com ESMTP Postfix
                      ><<< 250 smtp2.satnetcom.com
                      >

                      >Relay test 1
                      ><<< 250 Ok
                      ><<< 250 Ok
                      ><<< 250 Ok
                      ><<< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
                      ><<< 250 Ok: queued as 133BA2676EB
                      >
                      >Relay test result
                      >Hmmn, at first glance, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
                      >THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MEAN THAT IT'S AN OPEN RELAY.

                      Unless I'm misunderstanding... When you go to abuse.net, you need to
                      register a e-mail address on ANOTHER server, ie yourname@...,
                      yourname@... . You are attempting to send mail to
                      satnetcom.com ON satnetcom.com . Of course the machine is going to accept it.
                    • Marky Yehezkiel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                        > Unless I'm misunderstanding... When you go to abuse.net, you need to
                        > register a e-mail address on ANOTHER server, ie yourname@...,
                        > yourname@... . You are attempting to send mail to
                        > satnetcom.com ON satnetcom.com . Of course the machine is going to accept
                        it.

                        Maybe I'm misunderstanding too with this sentence :D from abuse.net :
                        If it is really an open relay, the test message will be delivered to you. If
                        you do not receive the test message in your e-mail in the next few hours, it
                        IS NOT an open relay.

                        So it's mean that if I didn't received any email from abuse after test
                        message my mailserver isn't open relay but in this case I received email
                        from abuse.net when I did test so it's mean my mailserver able to become
                        open relay? As I mention from my previous email my mailserver was listed by
                        someone from outside through sent email from my mailserver as postmaster to
                        dsbl.org and this is annoying me :( or maybe I got misunderstanding on this.
                      • Evan Platt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                          At 08:21 PM 8/2/2007, Marky Yehezkiel wrote:
                          > > Unless I'm misunderstanding... When you go to abuse.net, you need to
                          > > register a e-mail address on ANOTHER server, ie yourname@...,
                          > > yourname@... . You are attempting to send mail to
                          > > satnetcom.com ON satnetcom.com . Of course the machine is going to accept
                          >it.
                          >
                          >Maybe I'm misunderstanding too with this sentence :D from abuse.net :
                          >If it is really an open relay, the test message will be delivered to you. If
                          >you do not receive the test message in your e-mail in the next few hours, it
                          >IS NOT an open relay.
                          >
                          >So it's mean that if I didn't received any email from abuse after test
                          >message my mailserver isn't open relay but in this case I received email
                          >from abuse.net when I did test so it's mean my mailserver able to become
                          >open relay? As I mention from my previous email my mailserver was listed by
                          >someone from outside through sent email from my mailserver as postmaster to
                          >dsbl.org and this is annoying me :( or maybe I got misunderstanding on this.

                          You are testing the mail server that handles mail for satnetcom.com , correct?

                          And the e-mail address you used on abuse.net is a @...
                          address, correct?

                          Why would the satnetcom.com mail server NOT accept mail for a
                          satnetcom.com address?

                          No offense, but if this doesn't make sense to you, you shouldn't be
                          running a mail server.
                        • Evan Platt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                            At 08:23 PM 8/2/2007, Evan Platt wrote:

                            >You are testing the mail server that handles mail for satnetcom.com , correct?
                            >
                            >And the e-mail address you used on abuse.net is a @...
                            >address, correct?
                            >
                            >Why would the satnetcom.com mail server NOT accept mail for a
                            >satnetcom.com address?
                            >
                            >No offense, but if this doesn't make sense to you, you shouldn't be
                            >running a mail server.

                            http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

                            "Registered user mode attempts to relay a message through the server
                            to be tested. You must be a registered abuse.net user, and the
                            relayed message will be addressed to you. If you're testing a server
                            that accepts mail for your e-mail address, abuse.net can generate a
                            temporary alias in the abuse.net domain that will be forwarded to you. "
                          • Marky Yehezkiel
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                              >And the e-mail address you used on abuse.net is a @...
                              >address, correct?

                              >Why would the satnetcom.com mail server NOT accept mail for a
                              >satnetcom.com address?

                              >No offense, but if this doesn't make sense to you, you shouldn't be
                              >running a mail server.

                              Thank you for the explanation :) that's my misunderstanding and I'm still
                              newbie and need learn more and also because I am still couldn't found how
                              come my mailserver was listed to dsbl.org and after look at dsbl.org I found
                              these from header of email that sent to dsbl :

                              Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:57:04 +0000
                              To: <listme@...>
                              From: postmaster@...

                              This message is a test of your mail server to determine if
                              it will perform relaying (re-sending) of e-mail messages
                              for unauthorized outside parties. This capability, if
                              enabled in your mail server, is widely considered to be
                              serious flaw in mail server security.

                              Your mail server is being tested for relaying capability
                              because we have received mail from it and wish to determine
                              its likelihood to be abused by spammers.

                              If I didn't misunderstanding again :) my mailserver was used as smtp of this
                              IP 84.96.74.32 to listed my mailserver to dsbl correct? And if it is used I
                              am still not found what the problem is. Please advice on this. Thank you