mail deferring incorrectly?

  • Ed W
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm using Postfix 2.2.5. My mail to xxx@... is sitting in the
      outbound queue (for hours) with error message:
      (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
      mx2.ast-uk.com[80.229.47.244]: Connection timed out)

      However, if I check dig I see:

      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
      ast-uk.com. 13471 IN MX 20 mx2.ast-uk.com.
      ast-uk.com. 13471 IN MX 10 mx.ast-uk.com.

      A quick test shows that mx2 is there, but times out on a telnet to 25.
      However, mx is working fine.

      Q: How come postfix continuously tries only the highest priority MX and
      is never failing over to the secondary MX? How can I make it do so in
      this case (clearly mx2 is dead, but not dead enough..)

      Thanks

      Ed W
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 06:15:36PM +0100, Ed W wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm using Postfix 2.2.5. My mail to xxx@... is sitting in the
        > outbound queue (for hours) with error message:
        > (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
        > mx2.ast-uk.com[80.229.47.244]: Connection timed out)
        >
        > However, if I check dig I see:
        >
        > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
        > ast-uk.com. 13471 IN MX 20 mx2.ast-uk.com.
        > ast-uk.com. 13471 IN MX 10 mx.ast-uk.com.
        >

        > A quick test shows that mx2 is there, but times out on a telnet to 25.
        > However, mx is working fine.
        >
        > Q: How come postfix continuously tries only the highest priority MX and
        > is never failing over to the secondary MX? How can I make it do so in
        > this case (clearly mx2 is dead, but not dead enough..)

        You have shown no evidence that Postfix does not first try the primary
        MX, and if you check your logs closely, you will find that it does.

      • Ed W
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          > You have shown no evidence that Postfix does not first try the primary
          > MX, and if you check your logs closely, you will find that it does.

          Oh bother - sorry yes of course (once again) you are absolutely
          correct. Failure to read the log files

          Sorry for the noise - thanks for your endless help and attention Victor

          Ed W