Re: Return message to sender when message size limit exceed

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
      > Hi Mouss,
      >
      > After many tests, I observe that :
      > - When I use the Postfix Server directly to send messages greater than the message size limit specified, the server doesn't want to send then message and I obtain an error message (message too large) directly and the end of the sending session.
      > - When I send mail from another SMTP server, the message is accepted, but it's no deliver to the recipient and the sender has no error message. And I have nothing in the logs !!!
      >
      > So, do you any idea ?

      If you have "nothing" in the logs, then the postfix server was not
      contacted. postfix logs every transaction.

      anyway, it is the "other SMTP server" that must send the bounce. If you
      have access to its logs, it's the place too look. Otherwise, there is
      nothing we can do.

      make sure the return address is deliverable. That's where bounces go.
    • Michael JOLY
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hi Eric, Hi Mouss,

        I've the same problem as Eric and the same configuration.

        However, i've seen some information in the maillog :

         mail postfix/smtpd[501]: NOQUEUE: reject: MAIL from xxxx.xxx.xx [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]: 552 Message size exceeds fixed limit; proto=ESMTP helo=<xxx.xxx.xxx>

        But the sender doesn't receive any message of error.

        Could you help Me ?

        Thanks a lot

        Mickoum

        2007/8/1, mouss <mlist.only@...>:
        2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
        > Hi Mouss,
        >
        > After many tests, I observe that :
        > - When I use the Postfix Server directly to send messages greater than the message size limit specified, the server doesn't want to send then message and I obtain an error message (message too large) directly and the end of the sending session.
        > - When I send mail from another SMTP server, the message is accepted, but it's no deliver to the recipient and the sender has no error message. And I have nothing in the logs !!!
        >
        > So, do you any idea ?

        If you have "nothing" in the logs, then the postfix server was not
        contacted. postfix logs every transaction.

        anyway, it is the "other SMTP server" that must send the bounce. If you
        have access to its logs, it's the place too look. Otherwise, there is
        nothing we can do.

        make sure the return address is deliverable. That's where bounces go.

      • Peter H. Coffin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2007
          On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 04:31:05PM +0200, Michael JOLY wrote:
          > Hi Eric, Hi Mouss,
          >
          > I've the same problem as Eric and the same configuration.
          >
          > However, i've seen some information in the maillog :
          >
          > mail postfix/smtpd[501]: NOQUEUE: reject: MAIL from xxxx.xxx.xx[
          > xx.xxx.xxx.xx]: 552 Message size exceeds fixed limit; proto=ESMTP helo=<
          > xxx.xxx.xxx>
          >
          > But the sender doesn't receive any message of error.
          >
          > Could you help Me ?

          Postfix has rejected the mail. Therefore, it is the responsibility of
          the server attempting to deliver the mail (in this case, the server at
          xx.xxx.xxx.xx) to generate and send the non-delivery notice "bounce".

          --
          6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.