Re: set maximal_queue_lifetime for incoming and outgoing different ?

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      * Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:

      > This was one idea (later in this mail). But do I inform externals, too, if
      > my Notes server is down?

      Of course.

      > How does this work with 'invalid' mail_from like no_reply@...
      > or newsletter@...?

      All senders are treated equally.

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
      http://www.arschkrebs.de
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        Thanks, I will try it like this.
      • Mark Martinec
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007

          Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
          | Why not use delay_warning_time=2h instead?

          Our users clamoured for even shorter time, so we ended up with:

          delay_warning_time = 30m

          and I'm quite happy with it (except that a notification
          text says: could not be delivered in 0 hours :)
          but the text is configurable.

          Mark
        • Jorey Bump
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            Listaccount wrote:
            > Zitat von Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:
            >
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> my postfix just relays mails to a Lotus Notes server and the internet.
            >>
            >> Internet <-> Postfix <-> Lotus Notes
            >>
            >> My maximal_queue_lifetime is set to 2h which works fine. This
            >> relatively small amount is because the users want to know very fast if
            >> the mail is not deliverable. Earlier they sent an offer and received 5
            >> days later, that it does not work...
            >
            > RFC 2821 (section 4.5.4.1) state that you should at least use 4-5 days
            > to retry. If you set your value that low you go for trouble with
            > slow/overloaded hosts, long greylisting or network outages. Use the
            > delay_warning_time instead of breaking e-mail delivery.
            > E-Mail is not a real time communication and should not be used as such.

            I second that. The 5 day default provides email administrators with a
            valuable safety net. Like any safety net, you hope that you will never
            need it, but it had better work when you do. I've relied on it more than
            once.