set maximal_queue_lifetime for incoming and outgoing different ?

  • Alexander Grüner
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi,

      my postfix just relays mails to a Lotus Notes server and the internet.

      Internet <-> Postfix <-> Lotus Notes

      My maximal_queue_lifetime is set to 2h which works fine. This relatively
      small amount is because the users want to know very fast if the mail is
      not deliverable. Earlier they sent an offer and received 5 days later,
      that it does not work...

      But if the Notes Server is down for more than 2h, I would like to store
      the mails on my postfix and deliver them later.

      Is it possible to set maximal_queue_lifetime for incoming and outgoing
      different ?

      Another solution could be to set delay_warning_time for 2h and
      maximal_queue_lifetime to 1 day. But is it possible to set these
      warnings only to mails coming from internal. I do not want to let the
      world know that Lotus Notes is down and additionally there might be
      problems with mails like no_reply@....

      Regards,

      Alexander
      Munich, Germany
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        * Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > my postfix just relays mails to a Lotus Notes server and the internet.
        >
        > Internet <-> Postfix <-> Lotus Notes
        >
        > My maximal_queue_lifetime is set to 2h which works fine. This relatively
        > small amount is because the users want to know very fast if the mail is not
        > deliverable. Earlier they sent an offer and received 5 days later, that it
        > does not work...

        Why not use
        delay_warning_time = 2h
        instead?

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
        http://www.arschkrebs.de
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          > Why not use
          > delay_warning_time = 2h
          > instead?

          This was one idea (later in this mail). But do I inform externals, too,
          if my Notes server is down ? How does this work with 'invalid' mail_from
          like no_reply@... or newsletter@... ?
        • Listaccount
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            Zitat von Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:

            > Hi,
            >
            > my postfix just relays mails to a Lotus Notes server and the internet.
            >
            > Internet <-> Postfix <-> Lotus Notes
            >
            > My maximal_queue_lifetime is set to 2h which works fine. This
            > relatively small amount is because the users want to know very fast if
            > the mail is not deliverable. Earlier they sent an offer and received 5
            > days later, that it does not work...

            RFC 2821 (section 4.5.4.1) state that you should at least use 4-5 days
            to retry. If you set your value that low you go for trouble with
            slow/overloaded hosts, long greylisting or network outages. Use the
            delay_warning_time instead of breaking e-mail delivery.
            E-Mail is not a real time communication and should not be used as such.

            Regards

            Andreas
          • Ralf Hildebrandt
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
              * Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:

              > This was one idea (later in this mail). But do I inform externals, too, if
              > my Notes server is down?

              Of course.

              > How does this work with 'invalid' mail_from like no_reply@...
              > or newsletter@...?

              All senders are treated equally.

              --
              Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
              http://www.arschkrebs.de
              Der Router unseres ISPs verliert dauernd Pakete. Was zum Geier nutzen
              die? Fisher Price, mein erster Router?
            • Alexander Grüner
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                Thanks, I will try it like this.
              • Mark Martinec
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007

                  Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
                  | Why not use delay_warning_time=2h instead?

                  Our users clamoured for even shorter time, so we ended up with:

                  delay_warning_time = 30m

                  and I'm quite happy with it (except that a notification
                  text says: could not be delivered in 0 hours :)
                  but the text is configurable.

                  Mark
                • Jorey Bump
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Listaccount wrote:
                    > Zitat von Alexander Grüner <agruener@...>:
                    >
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> my postfix just relays mails to a Lotus Notes server and the internet.
                    >>
                    >> Internet <-> Postfix <-> Lotus Notes
                    >>
                    >> My maximal_queue_lifetime is set to 2h which works fine. This
                    >> relatively small amount is because the users want to know very fast if
                    >> the mail is not deliverable. Earlier they sent an offer and received 5
                    >> days later, that it does not work...
                    >
                    > RFC 2821 (section 4.5.4.1) state that you should at least use 4-5 days
                    > to retry. If you set your value that low you go for trouble with
                    > slow/overloaded hosts, long greylisting or network outages. Use the
                    > delay_warning_time instead of breaking e-mail delivery.
                    > E-Mail is not a real time communication and should not be used as such.

                    I second that. The 5 day default provides email administrators with a
                    valuable safety net. Like any safety net, you hope that you will never
                    need it, but it had better work when you do. I've relied on it more than
                    once.