Re: OT: firewalls and their sideffects on MTAs

  • Mark Martinec
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      Udo,

      > we are currently consulting a customer about what firewall (appliance)
      > to choose.
      > Now mailing is business critical for them and following the DKIM/'smtp
      > fixup' troubles I am wondering if there are any other known issues with
      > firewalls when it comes to mailing.

      Avoid packet-level filtering of SMTP protocol, modern-day mailers
      are well capable of taking care of their own health.

      Real threats stem from mail contents, where mail content filters
      at the application level stand more chance of offering some protection.
      This still does not relieve users from running virus checkers on
      their own PCs, and regularly updating their software, as mail
      is not the only path where malware can creep in.

      Mark