Return message to sender when message size limit exceed

  • 2S3I - COMPAIN Eric
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hi,

      I work on Postfix 2.0, Cyrus-Imap and Sieve.

      I've fix a limit for the message size : when I test, the message is not
      delivered to the recipient, BUT the sender didn't receive an error
      message.

      Does anyone know how to activate this ?

      Thanks for your answers,

      Best regards,

      Eric

      PS : sorry for my english.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
        2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I work on Postfix 2.0, Cyrus-Imap and Sieve.
        >
        > I've fix a limit for the message size : when I test, the message is not
        > delivered to the recipient, BUT the sender didn't receive an error
        > message.

        show logs and config ('postconf -n').
        > Does anyone know how to activate this ?
        >
        > Thanks for your answers,
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Eric
        >
        > PS : sorry for my english.

        postconf -n output and logs are in english :)

      • 2S3I - COMPAIN Eric
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
          Here is the postconf-n output :
          alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,ldap:/etc/postfix/ldapaliases.cf
          append_at_myorigin = no
          append_dot_mydomain = no
          biff = no
          broken_sasl_auth_clients = no
          command_directory = /usr/sbin
          config_directory = /etc/postfix
          daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
          debug_peer_level = 3
          debug_peer_list =
          defer_transports =
          disable_dns_lookups = no
          html_directory = no
          inet_interfaces = all
          local_recipient_maps =
          mail_owner = postfix
          mailbox_size_limit = 0
          mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
          mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
          manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
          masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
          masquerade_exceptions = root
          message_size_limit = 5242880
          mydestination = $myhostname, localhost, localhost.xxxxx.xx,
          localhost.xxxx.xxxxx
          myhostname = xxxx.xxxx.xx
          queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
          readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/README_FILES
          recipient_delimiter = +
          relay_domains = $mydestination
          relayhost =
          setgid_group = postdrop
          smtpd_banner = $myhostname
          smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
          strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
          transport_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldaptrans.cf
          unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
          virtual_alias_domains = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldapvdom.cf
          virtual_alias_maps =
          ldap:/etc/postfix/ldapcoloc.cf,ldap:/etc/postfix/ldapaliases

          PS : I read english very well, but when I'm writing something in
          english, I'm not Shakespeare ;-))))

          Eric

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
            2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
            > Here is the postconf-n output :

            you forgot the logs that show what happens to the message (from
            reception to erejection or bounce or delivery). In short:

            - If postfix rejects the message at smtp time, then it is the client MTA
            that should send the bounce.
            - If postfix successfully delivered the message, then it is the LDA or
            whatever took the message that is responsible for the rest of life of
            the message
          • 2S3I - COMPAIN Eric
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
              Hi Mouss,

              After many tests, I observe that :
              - When I use the Postfix Server directly to send messages greater than the message size limit specified, the server doesn't want to send then message and I obtain an error message (message too large) directly and the end of the sending session.
              - When I send mail from another SMTP server, the message is accepted, but it's no deliver to the recipient and the sender has no error message. And I have nothing in the logs !!!

              So, do you any idea ?

              Eric

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
                > Hi Mouss,
                >
                > After many tests, I observe that :
                > - When I use the Postfix Server directly to send messages greater than the message size limit specified, the server doesn't want to send then message and I obtain an error message (message too large) directly and the end of the sending session.
                > - When I send mail from another SMTP server, the message is accepted, but it's no deliver to the recipient and the sender has no error message. And I have nothing in the logs !!!
                >
                > So, do you any idea ?

                If you have "nothing" in the logs, then the postfix server was not
                contacted. postfix logs every transaction.

                anyway, it is the "other SMTP server" that must send the bounce. If you
                have access to its logs, it's the place too look. Otherwise, there is
                nothing we can do.

                make sure the return address is deliverable. That's where bounces go.
              • Michael JOLY
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Hi Eric, Hi Mouss,

                  I've the same problem as Eric and the same configuration.

                  However, i've seen some information in the maillog :

                   mail postfix/smtpd[501]: NOQUEUE: reject: MAIL from xxxx.xxx.xx [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]: 552 Message size exceeds fixed limit; proto=ESMTP helo=<xxx.xxx.xxx>

                  But the sender doesn't receive any message of error.

                  Could you help Me ?

                  Thanks a lot

                  Mickoum

                  2007/8/1, mouss <mlist.only@...>:
                  2S3I - COMPAIN Eric wrote:
                  > Hi Mouss,
                  >
                  > After many tests, I observe that :
                  > - When I use the Postfix Server directly to send messages greater than the message size limit specified, the server doesn't want to send then message and I obtain an error message (message too large) directly and the end of the sending session.
                  > - When I send mail from another SMTP server, the message is accepted, but it's no deliver to the recipient and the sender has no error message. And I have nothing in the logs !!!
                  >
                  > So, do you any idea ?

                  If you have "nothing" in the logs, then the postfix server was not
                  contacted. postfix logs every transaction.

                  anyway, it is the "other SMTP server" that must send the bounce. If you
                  have access to its logs, it's the place too look. Otherwise, there is
                  nothing we can do.

                  make sure the return address is deliverable. That's where bounces go.

                • Peter H. Coffin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 13, 2007
                    On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 04:31:05PM +0200, Michael JOLY wrote:
                    > Hi Eric, Hi Mouss,
                    >
                    > I've the same problem as Eric and the same configuration.
                    >
                    > However, i've seen some information in the maillog :
                    >
                    > mail postfix/smtpd[501]: NOQUEUE: reject: MAIL from xxxx.xxx.xx[
                    > xx.xxx.xxx.xx]: 552 Message size exceeds fixed limit; proto=ESMTP helo=<
                    > xxx.xxx.xxx>
                    >
                    > But the sender doesn't receive any message of error.
                    >
                    > Could you help Me ?

                    Postfix has rejected the mail. Therefore, it is the responsibility of
                    the server attempting to deliver the mail (in this case, the server at
                    xx.xxx.xxx.xx) to generate and send the non-delivery notice "bounce".

                    --
                    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.