Re: Delay splitted in logfile

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
      On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 11:17:40AM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

      > * Xesc Arbona <X.Arbona@...>:
      >
      > > "Jun 28 15:06:21 foo postfix/pipe[9744]: 7B8A35B864:
      > > to=<mike@...>, orig_to=<d-everybody@...>, relay=zarafa,
      > > delay=157, delays=13/128/0/16, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via
      > > zarafa service)"
      >

      > > I see that delay=157 is splitted in 4 values (13, 128, 0 and 16), but I don't know which process/step is causing which delay. Someone knows?
      >
      > 20051102
      >
      > Completion of support for time stamps from different stages of message
      > delivery. The information is now logged as "delays=a/b/c/d" where
      > a=time before queue manager, including message transmission; b=time in
      > queue manager; c=connection setup including DNS, HELO and TLS;
      > d=message transmission time.

      In this case, the largest delay is "b", which is time spent in the
      active queue waiting for a delivery agent to become available (subject
      to process and destination concurrency limits).

      If the queue is not overloaded with backscatter bounces (recipient
      validation is configured and working), the high delivery latency of 16
      seconds could if typical means that at most 20 deliveries take place every
      20 seconds, or 1.25 deliveries a second. If the arrival rate is higher,
      this destination may need more concurrency, better connection caching,
      or other tuning.