smtp auth postfix

  • Payne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2007
      Hi,

      I got a question, I need to set up my server so that my use auth before
      sending so I do have to keep changing my access file.

      Do I have to install courier or cyrus-sasl? I am looking at a simple way
      of just simple up with out change things.

      I have look on how to forge and google, but most point to using those
      programs.

      Payne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2007
        At 03:44 PM 7/28/2007, Payne wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I got a question, I need to set up my server so that my use auth
        >before sending so I do have to keep changing my access file.
        >
        >Do I have to install courier or cyrus-sasl? I am looking at a simple
        >way of just simple up with out change things.
        >
        >I have look on how to forge and google, but most point to using
        >those programs.
        >
        >Payne

        If you just need server-side AUTH (users must auth before using your
        server to relay) I would recommend using dovecot. The
        dovecot-postfix interface is dirt simple, and dovecot itself is
        considerably easier to setup than either courier or cyrus.

        Dovecot can be used with a wide variety of username/password
        backends, including the system passwd, *SQL, ladp, and plain text files.

        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot
        http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication

        It's common to configure postfix to require a TLS encrypted
        connection with AUTH, and to configure postfix to accept connections
        on the "submission" port.
        http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html

        --
        Noel Jones
      • Alexandros G. Fragkiadakis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2007
          On Sun, July 29, 2007 03:29, Noel Jones wrote:
          > At 03:44 PM 7/28/2007, Payne wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>

          >> I got a question, I need to set up my server so that my use auth
          >> before sending so I do have to keep changing my access file.
          >>
          >> Do I have to install courier or cyrus-sasl? I am looking at a simple
          >> way of just simple up with out change things.
          >>
          >> I have look on how to forge and google, but most point to using
          >> those programs.
          >>
          >> Payne
          >>

          > If you just need server-side AUTH (users must auth before using your
          > server to relay) I would recommend using dovecot. The dovecot-postfix
          > interface is dirt simple, and dovecot itself is considerably easier to
          > setup than either courier or cyrus.
          >
          > Dovecot can be used with a wide variety of username/password
          > backends, including the system passwd, *SQL, ladp, and plain text files.
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot
          > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication
          >

          > It's common to configure postfix to require a TLS encrypted
          > connection with AUTH, and to configure postfix to accept connections on the
          > "submission" port.
          > http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html

          i've tried courier-imap and postfix with cyrus sasl and it works fine (at
          the moment :))

          believed to be clean.