Re: Debugging timeout after DATA

  • Andreas Winkelmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
      On Monday 02 July 2007 06:51, Dean Manners wrote:

      > As a server receiving client connections from another
      > network, I am seeing "timeout after DATA" errors. The problem seems to be
      > isolated to one particular mail network, so Im _fairly_ confident that my
      > systems are koshure.
      > Using debug_peer_list I have scoured through debug output and can see that
      > we are receiving no "." to end the DATA phase from this mail network.

      Maybe a MTU-Issue, maybe a Cisco-Pix or another Router which tries to fixup
      SMTP. If you can, then make a telnet from the other Network to your Server
      and look at the Output you see. Compare this to the Output you see from a
      localhost-localhost Connection. Check MTU-Sizes.

      > What I would like to clarify is some of the timeout settings.. Being a
      > server side connection I was under the impression that the entire
      > connection was bound by the smtpd_timeout parameter? And not the specific
      > smtp_data_xxxx_timeout settings.
      >
      > -------
      > # postconf | grep smtpd_timeout
      > smtpd_timeout = 300s
      > -------

      Show "postconf -n"

      > However I am seeing these timeout messages sometimes only 30 seconds after
      > the intitial smtpd connection, not 5 minutes:
      >
      > -------
      > Jul 2 12:43:55 mailfilter02 postfix/smtpd[13386]: >
      > relay01.mail-hub.dodo.com.au[203.220.32.149]: 354 End data with
      > <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
      > Jul 2 12:44:26 mailfilter02 postfix/smtpd[15545]: >
      > relay01.mail-hub.dodo.com.au[203.220.32.149]: 421 4.4.2
      > mailfilter02.ispone.net.au Error: timeout exceeded
      > -------

      Please have a look at the Process-IDs, these are diffrent connections.

      --
      Andreas