SMTP enabled replacement for sendmail command

  • Alain Spineux
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hello

      I'm looking for a sendmail replacement using SMTP protocol instead of the maildrop facility.
      I need to use SMTP because I want to go trough my Before Queue Filter.

      Regards.

      Alain

      Alain Spineux
      aspineux gmail com
      May the sources be with you
    • Andreas Winkelmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007

        http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#clients

        --
        Andreas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
          On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 03:52:46AM +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > I'm looking for a sendmail replacement using SMTP protocol instead of the
          > maildrop facility.
          > I need to use SMTP because I want to go trough my Before Queue Filter.

          This makes no sense, please elaborate. Mail submitted locally is not yet
          in the queue of any MTA, so it is not generally a good idea to reject
          it. If you want to process but not reject, it is not a good idea to
          do the processing pre-queue, configure the same filter as a post-queue
          filter, and you get better reliability and more sensible concurrency
          control.

        • Alain Spineux
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
            On 6/30/07, Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni@...> wrote:
            On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 03:52:46AM +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > I'm looking for a sendmail replacement using SMTP protocol instead of the
            > maildrop facility.
            > I need to use SMTP because I want to go trough my Before Queue Filter.

            This makes no sense, please elaborate. Mail submitted locally is not yet
            in the queue of any MTA, so it is not generally a good idea to reject
            it. If you want to process but not reject, it is not a good idea to
            do the processing pre-queue, configure the same filter as a post-queue
            filter, and you get better reliability and more sensible concurrency
            control.

            Thanks Andrea I will check and report.

            Hi victor,
            I was expecting this kind of response :-)

            The server will be a MX backup, that keep a copy of emails for local delivery.
            The other copy is put in queue for a further posting (the normal MX bakup job).
            A web wail can give users access to the delivered emails.

            The BQF is the place where my 'filter' duplicate each email' between 2 postfix instances
            and return to SMTP client the compiled status returned by both local postfix.
            This is a very light BQF, their is no reason for the local postfix to reject the email, except
            a disk full, but a maildrop will give the same result :-)
            I thing the BQF is a good place here because it avoid a write in the queue :

            using BQF: SMTP client -> SMTPD -> BQF -> SMTPD -> write -> SMTP
            using AQF: SMTP client -> SMTPD -> write -> AQF -> write -> SMTP

            This is the chose I made, it's working, but I still could change, any advice is welcome

            Regards

            Alain Spineux
            aspineux gmail com
            May the sources be with you
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
              Alain Spineux wrote:

              > The server will be a MX backup, that keep a copy of emails for local
              > delivery.
              > The other copy is put in queue for a further posting (the normal MX bakup
              > job).
              > A web wail can give users access to the delivered emails.
              >
              > The BQF is the place where my 'filter' duplicate each email' between 2
              > postfix instances

              I guess you already verified that you can't do this without a filter
              (bcc related options, virtual aliases, ... etc).

              > and return to SMTP client the compiled status returned by both local
              > postfix.
              > This is a very light BQF, their is no reason for the local postfix to
              > reject
              > the email, except
              > a disk full, but a maildrop will give the same result :-)

              I still fail to see what sendmail has to do in this game... you're only
              talking about mail received from the network.

              > I thing the BQF is a good place here because it avoid a write in the
              > queue :

              Premature optimization is the root of you know what ;-p

              > using BQF: SMTP client -> SMTPD -> BQF -> SMTPD -> write -> SMTP
              > using AQF: SMTP client -> SMTPD -> write -> AQF -> write -> SMTP
              >
              > This is the chose I made, it's working, but I still could change, any
              > advice
              > is welcome

              You can use the same filter as an after-the-queue filter for mail
              submitted via sendmail. just add
              -o content_filter=....
              in the "pickup" service (in master.cf). and that's it.
            • Alain Spineux
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
                On 7/1/07, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
                Alain Spineux wrote:

                You can use the same filter as an after-the-queue filter for mail
                submitted via sendmail. just add
                    -o content_filter=....
                in the "pickup" service (in master.cf). and that's it.

                This is the better answer I got, exactly what I was looking for.
                Thanks.

                Anyway I have redistributed all the service between my two postfix instance and moved my duplication process in a After Queue Filter.

                Then I  can use sendmail again.

                Regards.

                Alain Spineux
                aspineux gmail com