Re: Upgrading From 2.3.6

  • Jorey Bump
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2007
      Rich Shepard wrote:
      > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Jorey Bump wrote:
      >
      >> I don't have 2.3.x installed anywhere, but I just upgraded a test machine
      >> from 2.4-20060727 to 2.5-20070614, and it seemed to work fine. Here's
      >> exactly what I did (watch the wrap in the first line):
      >>
      >> make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_TLS -I/usr/include/sasl -DUSE_SASL_AUTH
      >> -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL" AUXLIBS="-lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/lib -lsasl2"
      >> time make
      >> su -
      >> postfix stop
      >> cd /path/to/source
      >> make upgrade
      >> postfix start
      >
      > Jorey,
      >
      > OK, I'll take the single step. I also use SASL with Cyrus; don't know
      > off-hand if I use TLS or SSL since I don't run web-based mail.

      It's not for webmail, it's to encrypt client/server connections (to
      protect authentication, for example). I recommend using it if your users
      relay through your server.

      > Weren't you already in the /path/to/source when you built the makefiles
      > and the executables?

      Yes, but force users into their home directories when su'ing. Sorry, I
      forgot about that.

      >> If you version control /etc/postfix it's interesting to look at the
      >> changes in makedefs.out (or just diff it against a backup). Naturally,
      >> your upgrade will be different, as it's between other versions, but this
      >> might give you an idea of what to expect.
      >
      > I don't keep /etc/postfix in SVN; there are only two of us here so I try
      > to run the server as simply and cleanly as possible so I can focus on my
      > business rather than the OS and its applications. From my perspective they
      > are tools, means to an end, so I prefer them to just work with minimal
      > attention from me.

      Slackware includes Mercurial (hg), which is excellent for easily version
      controlling your configuration. You don't need anything special, just
      initialize the directory as a repository. This makes it really easy to
      track changes to your config, and to back up if there is trouble later.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2007
        Rich Shepard:
        > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Jorey Bump wrote:
        >
        > > I gave up creating SlackBuilds for postfix, as it only seemed to add more
        > > work. I find that managing Postfix from source and following the upgrade
        > > instructions works very smoothly on Slackware.
        >
        > Jorey,
        >
        > OK. Since postfix is not part of the distribution or frequently upgraded,
        > I see how this makes sense. Building the package takes no more time, but
        > perhaps the actual upgrades do cause issues that require time to resume.
        >
        > So, back to my original question: 2.3.11 or 2.4.3 from 2.3.6? Does it
        > matter?

        I recommend reviewing the RELEASE_NOTES files, which document not
        only the new things, but also what old things are broken, and how
        to work around those.

        Wietse
      • Rich Shepard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
          On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > I recommend reviewing the RELEASE_NOTES files, which document not only the
          > new things, but also what old things are broken, and how to work around
          > those.

          Wietse,

          Thank you, I intend to read everything before proceeding with any upgrade.

          Rich

          --
          Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
          Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)