Re: Reject unknown Sender address

  • Martin Hochreiter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      >> Is that working for virtual users?
      >>

      > Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
      > checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

      Works fine, thank you!
    • Dave McGuire
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
        >> I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
        >> the users
        >> don't exists in the virtual-table.
        >>
        >> Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
        >> users of the virtual table?
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
        >
        > Here is how we use it:
        >
        > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
        > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
        > reject_unlisted_recipient
        > reject_unlisted_sender
        > permit_sasl_authenticated
        > permit_mynetworks
        > reject_unauth_destination
        > [...]

        Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
        thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.

        My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
        '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
        Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
        smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
        explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
        on the production system without checking first.

        Thanks,
        -Dave

        --
        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
          At 01:58 PM 6/1/2007, Dave McGuire wrote:
          >On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
          >>>I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
          >>>the users
          >>>don't exists in the virtual-table.
          >>>
          >>>Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
          >>>users of the virtual table?
          >>
          >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
          >>
          >>Here is how we use it:
          >>
          >>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
          >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
          >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
          >> reject_unlisted_recipient
          >> reject_unlisted_sender
          >> permit_sasl_authenticated
          >> permit_mynetworks
          >> reject_unauth_destination
          >> [...]
          >
          > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
          >thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
          >
          > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
          >'@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
          >Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
          >smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
          >explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
          >on the production system without checking first.

          If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
          smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

          --
          Noel Jones
        • Dave McGuire
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
            On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
            >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
            >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
            >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
            >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
            >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
            >> on the production system without checking first.
            >
            > If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
            > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

            Perfect, that's exactly what I need...I'll enable this today.
            Thank you!

            -Dave

            --
            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
              Dave McGuire:
              > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
              > > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
              > > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
              > > reject_unlisted_recipient
              > > reject_unlisted_sender
              > > permit_sasl_authenticated
              > > permit_mynetworks
              > > reject_unauth_destination
              > > [...]
              >
              > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
              > thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
              >
              > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
              > '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
              > Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
              > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
              > explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
              > on the production system without checking first.

              You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
              the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
              and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
              I give them the sender or the recipient.

              Wietse
            • Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                From: mcguire@...
                Subject: Re: Reject unknown Sender address
                Date: June 1, 2007 3:41:28 PM EDT
                To: wietse@...

                On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                >>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                >>> reject_unlisted_recipient
                >>> reject_unlisted_sender
                >>> permit_sasl_authenticated
                >>> permit_mynetworks
                >>> reject_unauth_destination
                >>> [...]
                >>>

                >> Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                >> thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                >>
                >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                >> on the production system without checking first.
                >>

                > You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                > the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                > and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                > I give them the sender or the recipient.

                Sounds like good design to me. ;)

                -Dave

                --
                Dave McGuire