alternative approach for using procmail with virtual domains?

  • Marco Fioretti
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello,

      (I am posting this both as a summary and to know your opinion on the
      second approach below)

      I and others have already asked on this list in the past
      how to use procmail in a virtual-domain-only (no system
      accounts for email recipients) postfix environment for
      small (~40/50) groups of users.

      So far, the consensus was to define procmail as virtual_transport
      in main.cf and master.cf, more or less in this way:

      master.cf:
      procmail unix - n n - - pipe
      flags=R user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc ${sender}

      main.cf:

      virtual_transport = procmail

      and it works. Yesterday, however, I discovered at
      http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?p=96629
      an alternative approach, which _looks_ simpler.
      Just define virtual aliases in this way:

      me@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/me.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"
      joe@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/joe.virtualdomain2.com.procmailrc"
      jane@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/jane.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"

      and so on. I'll have the possibility to test it myself
      only next week, but in the meantime I'd like to
      ask. What do you think? Are there any caveats or corner
      cases, like handling the same message to more than one
      user? Which approach is better (safer| more robust|
      less resource hungry)?

      Thanks,
      Marco
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        Marco Fioretti wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > (I am posting this both as a summary and to know your opinion on the
        > second approach below)
        >
        > I and others have already asked on this list in the past
        > how to use procmail in a virtual-domain-only (no system
        > accounts for email recipients) postfix environment for
        > small (~40/50) groups of users.
        >
        > So far, the consensus was to define procmail as virtual_transport
        > in main.cf and master.cf, more or less in this way:
        >
        > master.cf:
        > procmail unix - n n - - pipe
        > flags=R user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc ${sender}
        >
        > main.cf:
        >
        > virtual_transport = procmail
        >
        > and it works. Yesterday, however, I discovered at
        > http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?p=96629
        > an alternative approach, which _looks_ simpler.
        > Just define virtual aliases in this way:
        >
        > me@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/me.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"
        > joe@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/joe.virtualdomain2.com.procmailrc"
        > jane@... : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m /somedir/jane.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"
        >
        > and so on. I'll have the possibility to test it myself
        > only next week, but in the meantime I'd like to
        > ask. What do you think? Are there any caveats or corner
        > cases, like handling the same message to more than one
        > user? Which approach is better (safer| more robust|
        > less resource hungry)?

        Virtual aliases do not execute commands.