Re: Reject unknown Sender address

  • Martin Hochreiter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      > .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
      >
      > Here is how we use it:
      >
      > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
      > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
      > reject_unlisted_recipient
      > reject_unlisted_sender
      > permit_sasl_authenticated
      > permit_mynetworks
      > reject_unauth_destination
      > [...]
      Is that working for virtual users?
    • Eray Aslan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        On 01.06.2007 13:52, Martin Hochreiter wrote:

        >> .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
        >>
        >> Here is how we use it:
        >>
        >> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
        >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
        >> reject_unlisted_recipient
        >> reject_unlisted_sender
        >> permit_sasl_authenticated
        >> permit_mynetworks
        >> reject_unauth_destination
        >> [...]
        >>

        > Is that working for virtual users?

        Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
        checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

        --
        Eray
      • Martin Hochreiter
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
          >> Is that working for virtual users?
          >>

          > Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
          > checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

          Works fine, thank you!
        • Dave McGuire
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
            On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
            >> I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
            >> the users
            >> don't exists in the virtual-table.
            >>
            >> Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
            >> users of the virtual table?
            >
            > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
            >
            > Here is how we use it:
            >
            > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
            > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
            > reject_unlisted_recipient
            > reject_unlisted_sender
            > permit_sasl_authenticated
            > permit_mynetworks
            > reject_unauth_destination
            > [...]

            Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
            thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.

            My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
            '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
            Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
            smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
            explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
            on the production system without checking first.

            Thanks,
            -Dave

            --
            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
              At 01:58 PM 6/1/2007, Dave McGuire wrote:
              >On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
              >>>I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
              >>>the users
              >>>don't exists in the virtual-table.
              >>>
              >>>Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
              >>>users of the virtual table?
              >>
              >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
              >>
              >>Here is how we use it:
              >>
              >>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
              >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
              >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
              >> reject_unlisted_recipient
              >> reject_unlisted_sender
              >> permit_sasl_authenticated
              >> permit_mynetworks
              >> reject_unauth_destination
              >> [...]
              >
              > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
              >thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
              >
              > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
              >'@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
              >Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
              >smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
              >explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
              >on the production system without checking first.

              If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
              smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

              --
              Noel Jones
            • Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
                >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                >> on the production system without checking first.
                >
                > If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
                > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

                Perfect, that's exactly what I need...I'll enable this today.
                Thank you!

                -Dave

                --
                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Dave McGuire:
                  > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                  > > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                  > > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                  > > reject_unlisted_recipient
                  > > reject_unlisted_sender
                  > > permit_sasl_authenticated
                  > > permit_mynetworks
                  > > reject_unauth_destination
                  > > [...]
                  >
                  > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                  > thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                  >
                  > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                  > '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                  > Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                  > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                  > explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                  > on the production system without checking first.

                  You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                  the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                  and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                  I give them the sender or the recipient.

                  Wietse
                • Dave McGuire
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                    From: mcguire@...
                    Subject: Re: Reject unknown Sender address
                    Date: June 1, 2007 3:41:28 PM EDT
                    To: wietse@...

                    On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                    >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                    >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                    >>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                    >>> reject_unlisted_recipient
                    >>> reject_unlisted_sender
                    >>> permit_sasl_authenticated
                    >>> permit_mynetworks
                    >>> reject_unauth_destination
                    >>> [...]
                    >>>

                    >> Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                    >> thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                    >>
                    >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                    >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                    >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                    >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                    >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                    >> on the production system without checking first.
                    >>

                    > You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                    > the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                    > and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                    > I give them the sender or the recipient.

                    Sounds like good design to me. ;)

                    -Dave

                    --
                    Dave McGuire