Re: Reject unknown Sender address

  • Eray Aslan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      On 01.06.2007 12:38, Martin Hochreiter wrote:
      > I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but the users
      > don't exists in the virtual-table.
      >
      > Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
      > users of the virtual table?

      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender

      Here is how we use it:

      /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
      reject_non_fqdn_recipient
      reject_unlisted_recipient
      reject_unlisted_sender
      permit_sasl_authenticated
      permit_mynetworks
      reject_unauth_destination
      [...]

      --
      Eray
    • Martin Hochreiter
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        > .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
        >
        > Here is how we use it:
        >
        > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
        > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
        > reject_unlisted_recipient
        > reject_unlisted_sender
        > permit_sasl_authenticated
        > permit_mynetworks
        > reject_unauth_destination
        > [...]
        Is that working for virtual users?
      • Eray Aslan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
          On 01.06.2007 13:52, Martin Hochreiter wrote:

          >> .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
          >>
          >> Here is how we use it:
          >>
          >> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
          >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
          >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
          >> reject_unlisted_recipient
          >> reject_unlisted_sender
          >> permit_sasl_authenticated
          >> permit_mynetworks
          >> reject_unauth_destination
          >> [...]
          >>

          > Is that working for virtual users?

          Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
          checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

          --
          Eray
        • Martin Hochreiter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
            >> Is that working for virtual users?
            >>

            > Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
            > checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

            Works fine, thank you!
          • Dave McGuire
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
              On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
              >> I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
              >> the users
              >> don't exists in the virtual-table.
              >>
              >> Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
              >> users of the virtual table?
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
              >
              > Here is how we use it:
              >
              > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
              > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
              > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
              > reject_unlisted_recipient
              > reject_unlisted_sender
              > permit_sasl_authenticated
              > permit_mynetworks
              > reject_unauth_destination
              > [...]

              Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
              thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.

              My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
              '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
              Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
              smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
              explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
              on the production system without checking first.

              Thanks,
              -Dave

              --
              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                At 01:58 PM 6/1/2007, Dave McGuire wrote:
                >On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
                >>>I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
                >>>the users
                >>>don't exists in the virtual-table.
                >>>
                >>>Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
                >>>users of the virtual table?
                >>
                >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
                >>
                >>Here is how we use it:
                >>
                >>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
                >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                >> reject_unlisted_recipient
                >> reject_unlisted_sender
                >> permit_sasl_authenticated
                >> permit_mynetworks
                >> reject_unauth_destination
                >> [...]
                >
                > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                >thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                >
                > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                >'@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                >Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                >smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                >explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                >on the production system without checking first.

                If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
                smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

                --
                Noel Jones
              • Dave McGuire
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                  On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
                  >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                  >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                  >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                  >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                  >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                  >> on the production system without checking first.
                  >
                  > If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
                  > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

                  Perfect, that's exactly what I need...I'll enable this today.
                  Thank you!

                  -Dave

                  --
                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                    Dave McGuire:
                    > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                    > > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                    > > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                    > > reject_unlisted_recipient
                    > > reject_unlisted_sender
                    > > permit_sasl_authenticated
                    > > permit_mynetworks
                    > > reject_unauth_destination
                    > > [...]
                    >
                    > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                    > thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                    >
                    > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                    > '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                    > Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                    > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                    > explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                    > on the production system without checking first.

                    You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                    the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                    and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                    I give them the sender or the recipient.

                    Wietse
                  • Dave McGuire
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                      From: mcguire@...
                      Subject: Re: Reject unknown Sender address
                      Date: June 1, 2007 3:41:28 PM EDT
                      To: wietse@...

                      On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                      >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                      >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                      >>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                      >>> reject_unlisted_recipient
                      >>> reject_unlisted_sender
                      >>> permit_sasl_authenticated
                      >>> permit_mynetworks
                      >>> reject_unauth_destination
                      >>> [...]
                      >>>

                      >> Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                      >> thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                      >>
                      >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                      >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                      >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                      >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                      >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                      >> on the production system without checking first.
                      >>

                      > You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                      > the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                      > and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                      > I give them the sender or the recipient.

                      Sounds like good design to me. ;)

                      -Dave

                      --
                      Dave McGuire