Re: Reject unknown Sender address

  • "M. Tolga Özses"
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi,

      I was having the same problem, until I added smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unlisted_sender, but my users are real.

      Regards,

      Martin Hochreiter wrote:
      Hi!

      I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but the users
      don't exists in the virtual-table.

      Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown users of the virtual table?

      lg

      --
      Stay with *nix :)
    • Eray Aslan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        On 01.06.2007 12:38, Martin Hochreiter wrote:
        > I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but the users
        > don't exists in the virtual-table.
        >
        > Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
        > users of the virtual table?

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender

        Here is how we use it:

        /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
        reject_non_fqdn_recipient
        reject_unlisted_recipient
        reject_unlisted_sender
        permit_sasl_authenticated
        permit_mynetworks
        reject_unauth_destination
        [...]

        --
        Eray
      • Martin Hochreiter
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
          > .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
          >
          > Here is how we use it:
          >
          > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
          > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
          > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
          > reject_unlisted_recipient
          > reject_unlisted_sender
          > permit_sasl_authenticated
          > permit_mynetworks
          > reject_unauth_destination
          > [...]
          Is that working for virtual users?
        • Eray Aslan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
            On 01.06.2007 13:52, Martin Hochreiter wrote:

            >> .org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
            >>
            >> Here is how we use it:
            >>
            >> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
            >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
            >> reject_unlisted_recipient
            >> reject_unlisted_sender
            >> permit_sasl_authenticated
            >> permit_mynetworks
            >> reject_unauth_destination
            >> [...]
            >>

            > Is that working for virtual users?

            Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
            checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

            --
            Eray
          • Martin Hochreiter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
              >> Is that working for virtual users?
              >>

              > Yes. Read the documentation for smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender. Postfix
              > checks the appropriate user list for each address class.

              Works fine, thank you!
            • Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
                >> I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
                >> the users
                >> don't exists in the virtual-table.
                >>
                >> Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
                >> users of the virtual table?
                >
                > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
                >
                > Here is how we use it:
                >
                > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                > reject_unlisted_recipient
                > reject_unlisted_sender
                > permit_sasl_authenticated
                > permit_mynetworks
                > reject_unauth_destination
                > [...]

                Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.

                My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                on the production system without checking first.

                Thanks,
                -Dave

                --
                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                  At 01:58 PM 6/1/2007, Dave McGuire wrote:
                  >On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
                  >>>I get plenty of spam with the From address from my domain ... but
                  >>>the users
                  >>>don't exists in the virtual-table.
                  >>>
                  >>>Can I somehow reject only From addresses from my domain with unknown
                  >>>users of the virtual table?
                  >>
                  >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
                  >>
                  >>Here is how we use it:
                  >>
                  >>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
                  >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                  >> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                  >> reject_unlisted_recipient
                  >> reject_unlisted_sender
                  >> permit_sasl_authenticated
                  >> permit_mynetworks
                  >> reject_unauth_destination
                  >> [...]
                  >
                  > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                  >thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                  >
                  > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                  >'@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                  >Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                  >smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                  >explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                  >on the production system without checking first.

                  If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
                  smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

                  --
                  Noel Jones
                • Dave McGuire
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                    On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
                    >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                    >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                    >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                    >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                    >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                    >> on the production system without checking first.
                    >
                    > If you have a domain wildcard in relay_recipient_maps,
                    > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender will accept any sender for that domain.

                    Perfect, that's exactly what I need...I'll enable this today.
                    Thank you!

                    -Dave

                    --
                    Dave McGuire
                    Port Charlotte, FL
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Dave McGuire:
                      > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                      > > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                      > > reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                      > > reject_unlisted_recipient
                      > > reject_unlisted_sender
                      > > permit_sasl_authenticated
                      > > permit_mynetworks
                      > > reject_unauth_destination
                      > > [...]
                      >
                      > Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                      > thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                      >
                      > My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                      > '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                      > Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                      > smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                      > explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                      > on the production system without checking first.

                      You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                      the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                      and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                      I give them the sender or the recipient.

                      Wietse
                    • Dave McGuire
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                        From: mcguire@...
                        Subject: Re: Reject unknown Sender address
                        Date: June 1, 2007 3:41:28 PM EDT
                        To: wietse@...

                        On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                        >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                        >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender
                        >>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                        >>> reject_unlisted_recipient
                        >>> reject_unlisted_sender
                        >>> permit_sasl_authenticated
                        >>> permit_mynetworks
                        >>> reject_unauth_destination
                        >>> [...]
                        >>>

                        >> Wow, I was just thinking of a solution to this problem today,
                        >> thanks! :-) I have one question about this, though.
                        >>
                        >> My installation has many wildcard entries of the form
                        >> '@...', with no username component, in relay_recipient_maps.
                        >> Will those entries work as expected (i.e., as wildcards) when used by
                        >> smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender? I would guess yes, but since it's not
                        >> explicitly stated in the documentation, I'm nervous about enabling it
                        >> on the production system without checking first.
                        >>

                        > You know, I am a lazy person, and when I implemented this, I used
                        > the exact same address validation routines for reject_unlisted_sender
                        > and for reject_unlisted_recipient. The only difference is in whether
                        > I give them the sender or the recipient.

                        Sounds like good design to me. ;)

                        -Dave

                        --
                        Dave McGuire