Re: Postfix and archiving

  • Juraj Sakala
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      On Friday 01 June 2007 06:35, Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
      > Ooops...sorry about just replying to you. I should press reply-all .... my
      > bad.
      >
      > Yeah, I know that postfix cant do it but it can be done using
      > procmail. I will read up the link that you provided.
      >
      > Thanks for your help again.
      >
      > On 5/31/07, Evan Platt <evan@...> wrote:
      > > Please post replies to the group.
      > >
      > > There's a good starter guide to procmail at
      > > http://userpages.umbc.edu/~ian/procmail.html .
      > >
      > > AFAIK, and someone will I'm sure correct me if I'm wrong, but postfix
      > > can't do any of what you're looking to do, but you might be able to
      > > create something with procmail.
      > >
      > > At 08:12 PM 5/31/2007, Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
      > > >Well, I have never used procmail before so I dont know.
      > > >
      > > >Do you have any links that I could read to do something like this?

      > > >--
      > > >Ritesh
      > > >http://www.riteshn.com
      Hi,

      try directive always_bcc

      Regards
      Juraj
    • Mark Martinec
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
        Ritesh,

        > We have a postfix server running without any problem. Now for an
        > internal application we need to store (backup) all the incoming and
        > outgoing mails to a MySQL database.

        One possibility is to use amavisd-new in a normal content filtering
        setup, enabling archive quarantine to SQL, and disabling all checks
        which are not needed. It stores unmodified mail to a table 'quarantine',
        (chopped to $sql_quarantine_chunksize_max sizes if desired, enabling
        storage of arbitrary size mail regardless of SQL limitations), and
        it stores envelope data (sender, recipients, etc) to table 'msgs' and
        associates. See README_FILES/README.sql* for details.

        The following is a complete amavisd.conf file needed for such a setup.
        It assumes SQL database is PostgreSQL (but can also work with MySQL),
        and assumes the version of amavisd-new is the most recent (2.5.1) :

        =================
        use strict;

        # disable all checks if they are not needed
        $bypass_decode_parts = 1;
        @bypass_virus_checks_maps = (1);
        @bypass_spam_checks_maps = (1);
        @bypass_header_checks_maps = (1);
        @bypass_banned_checks_maps = (1);
        @banned_filename_maps = ();

        $max_servers = 10;

        $log_level = 0; # verbosity 0..5
        $log_recip_templ = undef; # disable by-recipient level-0 log entries
        $syslog_facility = 'mail'; # Syslog facility as a string
        $syslog_priority = 'debug'; # Syslog base (minimal) priority as a string
        $DO_SYSLOG = 1; # log via syslogd (preferred)

        @local_domains_maps = ([ '.example.com' ]); # list of all local domains

        $inet_socket_port = 10024; # listen on this local TCP port(s)
        $forward_method = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025'; # forward to MTA

        $daemon_user = 'vscan';
        $daemon_group = 'vscan';

        @storage_sql_dsn =
        ([ 'DBI:Pg:database=mail_log', 'vscan', 'hj9hXXXaa' ]);

        $archive_quarantine_method = 'sql:';

        =================

        It would also be posible to disable mail forwarding from amavisd
        back to MTA:
        $forward_method = undef;
        but in this case Postfix needs to be configured to feed a COPY of
        each mail to amavisd, as it would not be comming back.

        Mark
      • Gerard Seibert
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
          On Thursday May 31, 2007 at 10:38:51 (PM) Evan Platt wrote:

          > >We have a postfix server running without any problem. Now for an
          > >internal application we need to store (backup) all the incoming and
          > >outgoing mails to a MySQL database.
          > >
          > >A similar solution is given at
          > >http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=archiving-howto but this
          > >only works if all the mails are stored in the MySQL database.
          > >
          > >What I want is that all the emails are stored in normal mailboxes but
          > >after storing them, postfix calls one of our application with the
          > >actual email that we can parse and insert it to the database.
          > >
          > >Thus what we basically want is that after sending/receiving mail
          > >Postfix calls another process with the email passed as parameter that
          > >we can use for further purposes.
          > >
          > >Any pointers on the same would be appreciated?
          >
          > Couldn't you use a procmail recipe, or am I missing something?

          Procmail is a resource hound, not to mention it has a nasty rule 'fall
          through' habit. I would recommend staying as far away from that beast as
          possible.

          --
          Gerard
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007

            ~user/.forward:
            username, "|/command/of/database"

            See "man 8 local" section "SYSTEM-WIDE AND USER-LEVEL ALIASING".

            Wietse
          • Ritesh Nadhani
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
              Thank you for all the replied. I will use this weekend to look up all
              the solutions provided by all.

              --
              Ritesh
              http://www.riteshn.com