Re: Postfix and archiving

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > We have a postfix server running without any problem. Now for an
      > internal application we need to store (backup) all the incoming and
      > outgoing mails to a MySQL database.
      >
      > A similar solution is given at
      > http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=archiving-howto but this
      > only works if all the mails are stored in the MySQL database.
      >
      > What I want is that all the emails are stored in normal mailboxes but
      > after storing them, postfix calls one of our application with the
      > actual email that we can parse and insert it to the database.
      >
      > Thus what we basically want is that after sending/receiving mail
      > Postfix calls another process with the email passed as parameter that
      > we can use for further purposes.
      >
      > Any pointers on the same would be appreciated?

      - use recipient_bcc_maps to copy mail to $user@...
      (search the archives for how to "save" the recipient using pcre. the
      idea is someting like "/(.)@domain\.example$/
      $1@..." ),
      - then use a dbmail transport to deliver mail for the
      dbmail.domain.example to dbmail.
      - configure dbmail to listen on another port so that you can still use
      your other pop/imap server.
    • Juraj Sakala
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Friday 01 June 2007 06:35, Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
        > Ooops...sorry about just replying to you. I should press reply-all .... my
        > bad.
        >
        > Yeah, I know that postfix cant do it but it can be done using
        > procmail. I will read up the link that you provided.
        >
        > Thanks for your help again.
        >
        > On 5/31/07, Evan Platt <evan@...> wrote:
        > > Please post replies to the group.
        > >
        > > There's a good starter guide to procmail at
        > > http://userpages.umbc.edu/~ian/procmail.html .
        > >
        > > AFAIK, and someone will I'm sure correct me if I'm wrong, but postfix
        > > can't do any of what you're looking to do, but you might be able to
        > > create something with procmail.
        > >
        > > At 08:12 PM 5/31/2007, Ritesh Nadhani wrote:
        > > >Well, I have never used procmail before so I dont know.
        > > >
        > > >Do you have any links that I could read to do something like this?

        > > >--
        > > >Ritesh
        > > >http://www.riteshn.com
        Hi,

        try directive always_bcc

        Regards
        Juraj
      • Mark Martinec
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
          Ritesh,

          > We have a postfix server running without any problem. Now for an
          > internal application we need to store (backup) all the incoming and
          > outgoing mails to a MySQL database.

          One possibility is to use amavisd-new in a normal content filtering
          setup, enabling archive quarantine to SQL, and disabling all checks
          which are not needed. It stores unmodified mail to a table 'quarantine',
          (chopped to $sql_quarantine_chunksize_max sizes if desired, enabling
          storage of arbitrary size mail regardless of SQL limitations), and
          it stores envelope data (sender, recipients, etc) to table 'msgs' and
          associates. See README_FILES/README.sql* for details.

          The following is a complete amavisd.conf file needed for such a setup.
          It assumes SQL database is PostgreSQL (but can also work with MySQL),
          and assumes the version of amavisd-new is the most recent (2.5.1) :

          =================
          use strict;

          # disable all checks if they are not needed
          $bypass_decode_parts = 1;
          @bypass_virus_checks_maps = (1);
          @bypass_spam_checks_maps = (1);
          @bypass_header_checks_maps = (1);
          @bypass_banned_checks_maps = (1);
          @banned_filename_maps = ();

          $max_servers = 10;

          $log_level = 0; # verbosity 0..5
          $log_recip_templ = undef; # disable by-recipient level-0 log entries
          $syslog_facility = 'mail'; # Syslog facility as a string
          $syslog_priority = 'debug'; # Syslog base (minimal) priority as a string
          $DO_SYSLOG = 1; # log via syslogd (preferred)

          @local_domains_maps = ([ '.example.com' ]); # list of all local domains

          $inet_socket_port = 10024; # listen on this local TCP port(s)
          $forward_method = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025'; # forward to MTA

          $daemon_user = 'vscan';
          $daemon_group = 'vscan';

          @storage_sql_dsn =
          ([ 'DBI:Pg:database=mail_log', 'vscan', 'hj9hXXXaa' ]);

          $archive_quarantine_method = 'sql:';

          =================

          It would also be posible to disable mail forwarding from amavisd
          back to MTA:
          $forward_method = undef;
          but in this case Postfix needs to be configured to feed a COPY of
          each mail to amavisd, as it would not be comming back.

          Mark
        • Gerard Seibert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
            On Thursday May 31, 2007 at 10:38:51 (PM) Evan Platt wrote:

            > >We have a postfix server running without any problem. Now for an
            > >internal application we need to store (backup) all the incoming and
            > >outgoing mails to a MySQL database.
            > >
            > >A similar solution is given at
            > >http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=archiving-howto but this
            > >only works if all the mails are stored in the MySQL database.
            > >
            > >What I want is that all the emails are stored in normal mailboxes but
            > >after storing them, postfix calls one of our application with the
            > >actual email that we can parse and insert it to the database.
            > >
            > >Thus what we basically want is that after sending/receiving mail
            > >Postfix calls another process with the email passed as parameter that
            > >we can use for further purposes.
            > >
            > >Any pointers on the same would be appreciated?
            >
            > Couldn't you use a procmail recipe, or am I missing something?

            Procmail is a resource hound, not to mention it has a nasty rule 'fall
            through' habit. I would recommend staying as far away from that beast as
            possible.

            --
            Gerard
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007

              ~user/.forward:
              username, "|/command/of/database"

              See "man 8 local" section "SYSTEM-WIDE AND USER-LEVEL ALIASING".

              Wietse
            • Ritesh Nadhani
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                Thank you for all the replied. I will use this weekend to look up all
                the solutions provided by all.

                --
                Ritesh
                http://www.riteshn.com