Re: how to set postfix not to flood destination SMTP server

  • Vivek Khera
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 12:51 PM
      On May 24, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Milan Plšek wrote:

      > 1) use at maximum 5 concurrent connections in 1 SMTP session.
      > I think I will do this with a
      > "smtp_destination_concurrency_limit" , but I'm not sure)

      Yes, but you want to do it just for that one domain, not all domains
      else your throughput will be awful.

      You enable it by creating a copy of the "smtp" transport in master.cf
      and giving it a new name. we call it "trickle"

      Then in your transport map (make one if you don't have one) you tell
      postfix to use that transport for the domain in question like this:

      example.com trickle:

      then in main.cf you set trickle_destination_concurrency_limit=1

      We have varying levels of 'trickle' for various domains. for
      example, adelphia cable doesn't seem to like more than 4 simultaneous
      connections; some sites like at most 10. so as we discover them, we
      add them to our appropriate trickled destinations and optimize our
      traffic flow.

      > 2) all users of my postfix should be allowed to send mostly 50
      > messages per 1 minute to that domain. Remaining mails will be
      > stored somewhere in the queue and sent later (after this minute
      > period expires). Is it possible to do this ?

      You cannot do time-based rate limiting with postfix.