RE: "lost connection with domain while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once"

  • Hargis, Mandy
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      >Are you perhaps behind a NAT gateway? This may expire the connection
      from its tables too early. Such boxes tend to be optimized for
      short-lived http connections which is bad for email.

      I'm not behind a NAT gateway.

      >Is the remote SMTP server behind a NAT gateway?

      The remote SMTP servers include hundreds of servers such as verizon.net,
      yahoo, many .edus, gmail, etc.

      >In either case, it may help to turn on keep-alives.,

      Current Solaris setting:
      > ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval
      7200000

      >This is currently not built into Postfix.

      I have not installed the Postfix patch that you provided in the separate
      message. I'm just wondering how my inbound SMTP servers could have been
      running for three + years without this patch or problem. How could it
      be necessary all of a sudden?

      >Are there large messages that DON'T fail?

      Yes many large messages have no problems. Oddly enough this seems to
      happen when a message contains a .vcf or .html file attachment.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Hargis, Mandy:
        > > ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval
        > 7200000

        On Solaris you don't need the patch. Postfix keepalives are already
        turned on to work around kernel bugs.

        However 7200000 milliseconds is two hours and that won't make a
        difference of the problem is caused by NAT boxes with too short
        timeouts. Try 10s and see if it makes a difference.

        ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval 10000

        > I have not installed the Postfix patch that you provided in the separate
        > message. I'm just wondering how my inbound SMTP servers could have been
        > running for three + years without this patch or problem. How could it
        > be necessary all of a sudden?

        I suppose that if Postfix didn't change, then something else did.
        Either this, or the problem already existed and you just didn't
        know about it....

        If you experience this problem with many sites, then it is
        very likely that the problem is at your end of the world.

        This is another reason why I suspect that something in your
        infrastructure was changed recently.