Re: Setting up to send mail

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 7:38 AM
      >> Sometimes you (and others on this list) are a bit arrogant in your
      >> treatment of people who don't exhibit an acceptably (to you)
      >> advanced level of knowledge and expertise, but that is your right,
      >> and I'm not complaining about it.
      >>
      >> Is there a postfix support list that is a little more forgiving,
      >> and willing to help people new to postfix (specifically), and mail
      >> server administration (in general)?

      > Apparently I am too demanding when I expect that people follow simple
      > step-by-step instructions when reporting a problem.

      Thats not what I meant. If I thought so, I wouldn't still be here.

      I didn't have access to his logs, so I couldn't provide them, and I
      thought he had already provided postconf -n output.

      What I did provide was specific details on how he is using/trying to use
      postfix, which I thought might be enough for someone to simply say 'you
      need to read up on how to configure postfix as xyz', which is all I wanted.

      >> If not, I guess we'll just keep plugging away, and hopefully
      >> eventually get there.

      > Again, good luck. Don't let my arrogance get in the way.

      Whether you believe it or not, I didn't mean that comment as an insult.
      Your (minimal/occasional) arrogance is well-deserved, and I wouldn't
      expect you to waste your time holding mine or anyone else's hand - I'd
      much prefer that you spend your time making postfix better.

      :)

      That said, you could just ignore requests/posts that you don't want to
      respond to, rather than taking jabs at someone. But, it is your list, so
      I have never complained about it till now...

      > If the list is unforgiving, it has as much to do with the topic matter
      > as anything else. It turns out that running a mail server *does* require
      > an advanced level of knowledge and expertise, and perhaps novices are
      > roughly encouraged to get up to speed before assuming the responsibility
      > of managing a public server, especially if they want a solution 'Today'.

      I agree. The reality is, though, that some people want to run one now,
      and don't want to spend months or years 'coming up to speed' to the
      point that they will submit perfect error reports, or properly absorb
      every detail in a well-commented config file.

      For that, I guess I'll have to rely more on distro-centric support lists
      rather than the biggie, and only come here when I'm unable to get an
      answer anywhere else, and just be prepared to not post my
      question/problem until I have all relevant/pertinent details on hand.

      > Sadly, a poorly managed mail server soon becomes a problem for the rest
      > of us, and there is no acceptable level of 'almost working'. So, put on
      > your bulletproof vest, show that you are doing your research (submitting
      > proper error reports indicates you've read the documentation), and
      > you'll benefit from the knowledge base available on this list (I know I
      > do).

      Agreed, and is what I've done for my own server. Thankfully, my current
      needs are fairly simple, so getting a secure, correctly configured
      server was relatively easy.

      > You're unlikely to find the same level of quality anywhere else on
      > the topic of Postfix, or even general SMTP-related issues. The
      > developers actively participate and even provide patches (!) to solve
      > proven issues. You don't often see that level of dedication in a
      > project, free or not.

      Agreed again - I've no complaints, aside from the fact that, when
      someone posts without rtfm (whether out of haste or laziness), sometimes
      gruffness (sometimes to the point of rudeness) is offered, rather than
      silence, which is what I would do if it were me.

      Anyway, enough said - I'll work with Wade on the Ubuntu list and see if
      we both can't learn something.

      Thanks,

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 7:43 AM
        Wade Smart wrote:
        > My System: Ubuntu 7.04
        > Use fetchmail / postfix / dovecot for mail
        > My domain name: wadesmart.com
        > Hosted by: GoDaddy
        > My computer name: wadesmart
        >
        > Summary of Problem
        >
        > Im trying to complete setup of my email system to send mail. I
        > originally in my mail client setup to use "sendmail" as server type.
        > When I was doing that I get the error produced below. I was told in
        > another forum to change that to smtp. When I did my mail client does
        > not send the mail. It just hangs, like it cant connect.
        >
        > I have been reading through the documentation but I think Im just
        > going in circles because all as I make changes I noticed that now Im
        > getting emails that are coming in bounced.
        >
        > What I want is to just get my mail, read it, send it back, all on my
        > own system. I would really appreciate any help.
        >
        > wade
        >

        > Complete Error Messages
        >
        > Cant send error message:
        >
        > Apr 30 17:18:56 wadesmart postfix/smtp[18874]: B0E5F14284D1:
        > to=<wadesmart@...>,
        > orig_to=<wade@...>,
        > relay=smtpout.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]:3535,
        > delay=0.5,
        > delays=0.02/0.06/0.29/0.12,
        > dsn=5.0.0,
        > status=bounced (host smtpout.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]
        > said: 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
        >
        > Losing email error message:
        >
        > Apr 30 12:34:08 wadesmart postfix/smtp[7697]: 7826714284BD:
        > to=<PositiveDiscussions@yahoogroups.com>,
        > relay=smtpout.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]:3535,
        > delay=0.63,
        > delays=0.13/0/0.35/0.15, dsn=5.0.0,
        > status=bounced (host smtpout.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]
        > said: 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

        so you have smtpout.secureserver.net as your relayhost (as seen in
        postconf -n), but they don't accept to relay for you. ask them what to
        do to be able to relay via their server. if they gave you yoy a
        login/passwd, then you'll need to setup sasl. see the SASL_README. look
        for the part with "sasl client" or so, and to smtp_sasl_* variables (not
        smtpd_sasl_*).

        > Apr 30 12:34:08 wadesmart postfix/qmgr[5402]: 7826714284BD: removed
        >

        > Output from "postconf -n"
        >
        > wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ postconf -n
        > alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
        > alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
        > append_dot_mydomain = no
        > biff = no
        > config_directory = /etc/postfix
        > home_mailbox = Maildir/
        > inet_interfaces = all
        > inet_protocols = all
        > mailbox_command =
        > mailbox_size_limit = 0
        > mydestination = wadesmart, wadesmart.com, localhost.localdomain,
        > localhost
        > mydomain = wadesmart.com
        > myhostname = mail.wadesmart.com
        > mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
        > recipient_delimiter = +
        > relayhost = [smtpout.secureserver.net]:3535
        > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/saslpass
        > smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
        > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
        > smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
        > smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
        > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
        > smtpd_use_tls = yes
        > wadesmart@wadesmart:~$
        >

        > Mail Client Setup:
        >
        > Sending Email:
        > Server type: smtp
        > server: mail.wadesmart.com
        >
        > Receiving Email:
        > Server type: IMAP
        > Server: 127.0.0.1

      • Charles Marcus
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 7:58 AM
          > so you have smtpout.secureserver.net as your relayhost (as seen in
          > postconf -n), but they don't accept to relay for you. ask them what to
          > do to be able to relay via their server. if they gave you yoy a
          > login/passwd, then you'll need to setup sasl. see the SASL_README. look
          > for the part with "sasl client" or so, and to smtp_sasl_* variables (not
          > smtpd_sasl_*).

          Which reminds me of a question I had earlier, but I ended up not needing
          to enable smtp auth, so it wasn't urgent...

          Am I correct that in order to switch from using a relayhost that doesn't
          require auth, I would:

          1. comment out the relayhost setting in main.cf

          2. enable:

          smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

          3. Put the necessary entries in sasl_passwd

          4. postmap the file, then

          5. reload postfix?

          --

          Best regards,

          Charles
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 11:41 AM
            Charles Marcus wrote:
            >> so you have smtpout.secureserver.net as your relayhost (as seen in
            >> postconf -n), but they don't accept to relay for you. ask them what
            >> to do to be able to relay via their server. if they gave you yoy a
            >> login/passwd, then you'll need to setup sasl. see the SASL_README.
            >> look for the part with "sasl client" or so, and to smtp_sasl_*
            >> variables (not smtpd_sasl_*).
            >
            > Which reminds me of a question I had earlier, but I ended up not
            > needing to enable smtp auth, so it wasn't urgent...
            >
            > Am I correct that in order to switch from using a relayhost that
            > doesn't require auth, I would:
            >
            > 1. comment out the relayhost setting in main.cf

            No. leave it. otherwise, you system will send directly to MXes. this
            would work, except if the recipient MX blocks you (block "resedential"
            IPs).

            > 2. enable:
            >
            > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
            > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
            >
            > 3. Put the necessary entries in sasl_passwd
            don't forget the square brackets around the host.

            > 4. postmap the file, then
            >
            > 5. reload postfix?

            yes
          • Charles Marcus