Re: how to count mail on queue

  • Julian Cowley
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

      > > > This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
      > > > systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
      > > >
      > > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
      > >
      > > That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
      > > be further reduced to:
      > >
      > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
      >
      > Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

      I knew there was a catch. I've found that with the GNU version
      of find, '?' doesn't match '.' at the beginning of a filename,
      whereas on FreeBSD it does. Still, the original version works on
      both operating systems.
    • Chuck Amadi
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
        Victor Duchovni wrote:
        > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

        >>> This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
        >>> systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
        >>>
        >>> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
        >>>
        >> That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
        >> be further reduced to:
        >>
        >> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
        >>

        > Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

        Very simple line of::

        mailq | tail -1

        Cheers

        --
        Chuck Amadi
        ROK Corporation Limited

        Tel: 01446 795 839
        Fax: 01446 794 994
        International Tel: +44 1446 795 839

        email: chuck.amadi@...

        This email is confidential to the addressee only. If you do not believe
        that you are the intended recipient, do not pass it on or copy it in any
        way. Please delete it immediately.