Re: how to count mail on queue

  • Julian Cowley
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:02:37AM -0700, Eric Frazier wrote:
      >
      > > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred -type f -print | wc -l
      >
      > This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
      > systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
      >
      > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l

      That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
      be further reduced to:

      sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l

      At least it works on my system. YMMV.

      We have a script at work that does something similar to this (which
      also depends on leaf-directory optimization). It gets around doing
      stat() by listing the queue directories directly on the command
      line, but it then has to subtract the directory count to get the
      right answer. I like Victor's version much better since it is simple
      and elegant.
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
        On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

        > > This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
        > > systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
        > >
        > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
        >
        > That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
        > be further reduced to:
        >
        > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l

        Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

      • Miles Fidelman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
          Victor Duchovni wrote:
          > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

          >>> This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
          >>> systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
          >>>
          >>> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
          >>>
          >> That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
          >> be further reduced to:
          >>
          >> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
          >>

          > Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

          I use:
          /usr/bin/mailq |grep Requests

          Miles
        • Julian Cowley
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
            On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Victor Duchovni wrote:
            > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

            > > > This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
            > > > systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
            > > >
            > > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
            > >
            > > That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
            > > be further reduced to:
            > >
            > > sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
            >
            > Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

            I knew there was a catch. I've found that with the GNU version
            of find, '?' doesn't match '.' at the beginning of a filename,
            whereas on FreeBSD it does. Still, the original version works on
            both operating systems.
          • Chuck Amadi
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
              Victor Duchovni wrote:
              > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:12:30PM -1000, Julian Cowley wrote:

              >>> This has to stat every file and so incurs a lot of I/O, by far faster on
              >>> systems with leaf-directory optimization is:
              >>>
              >>> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name . ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
              >>>
              >> That's pretty nice. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it can
              >> be further reduced to:
              >>
              >> sudo find /var/spool/postfix/deferred/. ! -name '?' -print | wc -l
              >>

              > Provided you are willing to subtract 1 at the end, yes.

              Very simple line of::

              mailq | tail -1

              Cheers

              --
              Chuck Amadi
              ROK Corporation Limited

              Tel: 01446 795 839
              Fax: 01446 794 994
              International Tel: +44 1446 795 839

              email: chuck.amadi@...

              This email is confidential to the addressee only. If you do not believe
              that you are the intended recipient, do not pass it on or copy it in any
              way. Please delete it immediately.