Re: Spam pretending to be from a local domain

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      At 01:33 AM 4/1/2007, LuKreme wrote:
      >On 31-Mar-2007, at 03:08, Magnus Bäck wrote:
      >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unlisted_sender
      >>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
      >
      >Thanks. Are there any drawbacks to
      >
      >smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = yes
      >
      >or the reject_unlisted_sender?

      Only if you intentionally send mail from non-existent addresses.
      But you shouldn't do that.

      These settings should be safe.

      --
      Noel Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        alex handle wrote:
        > On 3/31/07, Magnus Bäck <magnus@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 04:29 CEST,
        >> LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> [...]
        >>
        >> > now, jfoc@... is not valid, so is there something I can set in
        >> > postfix that will reject mail from unknown local users, or is there a
        >> > reason I should not do this?
        >>
        >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unlisted_sender
        >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender
        >>

        > I have implemented reject_unlisted_sender with warn_if_reject.
        > Be careful i got a lot of false positives. Watch for bulkmailers, your or
        > your customers webservers

        then the thing to fix is these mailers. reject_unlisted_sender is safe
        and sane. you don't want to send mail that can't get a bounce in case of
        errors, or can't replied to. if the bulkers don't want people replying,
        provide them with one address (some people use noreply@....) that is
        forwarded to you or some administrative account. but a -owner style
        address as the envelope sender is appropriate here.