next hop recipient check

  • richard lucassen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hello list,

      I once read that Postfix smtpd was capable of asking a next hop server
      if a recipient exists or not before accepting the mail:

      $ telnet postfix-1 25
      postfix-1: mail from: someone@...
      postfix-1: rcpt to: someoneelse@...
      [postfix-1 queries postfix-2 on SMTP and gets a user doesn't exist]
      postfix-1: 5xx, user does not exist

      If this option exists, what is this option called?

      R.

      It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
      aloud and remove all doubt.

      | Richard Lucassen, Utrecht |
      | Public key and email address: |
      | http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html |
    • Dhawal Doshy
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
        richard lucassen wrote:
        > Hello list,
        >
        > I once read that Postfix smtpd was capable of asking a next hop server
        > if a recipient exists or not before accepting the mail:
        >
        > $ telnet postfix-1 25
        > postfix-1: mail from: someone@...
        > postfix-1: rcpt to: someoneelse@...
        > [postfix-1 queries postfix-2 on SMTP and gets a user doesn't exist]
        > postfix-1: 5xx, user does not exist
        >
        > If this option exists, what is this option called?

        See reject_unverified_recipient under smtpd_recipient_restrictions

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient
      • richard lucassen
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
          On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:29:20 +0530
          Dhawal Doshy <dhawal@...> wrote:

          > > I once read that Postfix smtpd was capable of asking a next hop
          > > server if a recipient exists or not before accepting the mail:
          > >
          > > $ telnet postfix-1 25
          > > postfix-1: mail from: someone@...
          > > postfix-1: rcpt to: someoneelse@...
          > > [postfix-1 queries postfix-2 on SMTP and gets a user doesn't exist]
          > > postfix-1: 5xx, user does not exist
          > >
          > > If this option exists, what is this option called?
          >
          > See reject_unverified_recipient under smtpd_recipient_restrictions
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient

          Thanks, that was it :)

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
            richard lucassen wrote:
            > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:29:20 +0530
            > Dhawal Doshy <dhawal@...> wrote:
            >

            >>> I once read that Postfix smtpd was capable of asking a next hop
            >>> server if a recipient exists or not before accepting the mail:
            >>>
            >>> $ telnet postfix-1 25
            >>> postfix-1: mail from: someone@...
            >>> postfix-1: rcpt to: someoneelse@...
            >>> [postfix-1 queries postfix-2 on SMTP and gets a user doesn't exist]
            >>> postfix-1: 5xx, user does not exist
            >>>
            >>> If this option exists, what is this option called?
            >>>
            >> See reject_unverified_recipient under smtpd_recipient_restrictions
            >>
            >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient
            >>

            > Thanks, that was it :)

            please use with moderation. do not probe our servers. only probe yours.
          • richard lucassen
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2007
              On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:14:05 +0200
              mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:

              > >> See reject_unverified_recipient under smtpd_recipient_restrictions
              > >>
              > >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient
              > >
              > > Thanks, that was it :)
              >
              > please use with moderation. do not probe our servers. only probe
              > yours.

              Of course, it's a postfix in front of an exchange server.