/etc/postfix/aliases VS /etc/aliases AND aliases VS virtual

  • jorgo99991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      Just switched from sendmail to postfix with system-switch-mail. If I set postfix to use /etc/postfix/aliases

      alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      Can I then delete the /etc/aliases file? Or is using /etc/aliases recommended?

      Also, if I only have 1 domain and one user, which I use for checking mail and would like to direct mail sent to existing and non-existing system users @... to that existing user (mailuser):

      staff@... -> mailuser
      webmaster@... -> mailuser
      etc.

      Which is preferred for the best speed/security - virtual or aliases file?

    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:50 CET,
        jorgo99991@... wrote:

        > Just switched from sendmail to postfix with system-switch-mail. If I
        > set postfix to use /etc/postfix/aliases
        >
        > alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        > alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
        >
        > Can I then delete the /etc/aliases file? Or is using /etc/aliases
        > recommended?

        Postfix certainly won't need it, but maybe some other part of your
        system will (NIS etc). I doubt it, though.

        > Also, if I only have 1 domain and one user, which I use for checking
        > mail and would like to direct mail sent to existing and non-existing
        > system users @... to that existing user (mailuser):
        >
        > staff@... -> mailuser
        > webmaster@... -> mailuser
        > etc.
        >
        > Which is preferred for the best speed/security - virtual or aliases file?

        I guess virtual aliasing gives slightly better performance, but for a
        one domain one user system this is of course irrelevant.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...