PostFix - Dovecot MailDir setup question

  • jorgo99991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      I already have Postfix and Dovecot setup and working with Maildir enabled on postfix/main.cf
      Now found one tutorial that says to also uncomment this line in /etc/dovecot.conf:
      default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir
      Should I uncomment it (e.g. performance/compatibility increase?) or will it be of different format than the currenct setup that postfix/dovecot has autodetected and cause problems?
      How does your PostFix/Dovecot setup look like, do you have it commented or uncommented when using MailDir?

    • Luigi Rosa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
        jorgo99991@... said the following on 1/3/2007 15:54:

        > How does your PostFix/Dovecot setup look like

        In dovecot.conf:
        mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u/
        (mail_location is the new setting equivalent to default_mail_env)

        In main.cf:
        mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail/

        Ciao,
        luigi

        --
        /
        +--[Luigi Rosa]--

        Every program has (at least) two purposes: the one for which it was
        written and another for which it wasn't.
      • jorgo99991@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
          I have neither set and everything seems to work, should I set them or better to leave as is?

          jorgo99991@... said the following on 1/3/2007 15:54:

          > How does your PostFix/Dovecot setup look like

          In dovecot.conf:
          mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u/
          (mail_location is the new setting equivalent to default_mail_env)

          In main.cf:
          mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail/

          Ciao,
          luigi

          -- /

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
            Leave it as is for now.  When you upgrade dovecot you will need to change it.