Re: Multiple Relay Servers.

  • Mark Watts
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am looking to implement an email gateway solution that will route
      > appropriate mail to the appropriate email servers. We have two
      > environments that produce email. One is a production based system the
      > second is a QA. We would like to have a centralized postfix box accept
      > all email from these environments and route them to the appropriate
      > email server.
      >
      > For example:
      >
      > An email was sent from server1 to user@....
      >
      > This email get's sent to the postfix relay server.
      >
      > The postfix relay server sees it's going to company1.com so it forwards
      > this email to the company1's mail server.
      >
      > A mail was sent from server2 to user@...
      >
      > The email gets to the postfix relay server.
      >
      > The postfix relay server see's it's going to company2 so it forwards it
      > to company2's email server.

      Assuming "company1" and "company2" are somewhere in the Internet, Isn't this
      just standard Internet email?
      As long as your mail server can resolve MX records for these domains, Postfix
      should "just work". Your client systems will need to be listed in

      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#mynetworks

      If this is a purely internal mail system, the following parameters are also
      useful:

      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_domains
      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_transport

      Mark.

      --
      Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
      Senior Systems Engineer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:42:06AM -0500, Becker, Robert wrote:

        > Hello,
        >

        > I am looking to implement an email gateway solution that will route
        > appropriate mail to the appropriate email servers. We have two
        > environments that produce email. One is a production based system the
        > second is a QA. We would like to have a centralized postfix box accept
        > all email from these environments and route them to the appropriate
        > email server.
        >
        > For example:
        >
        > An email was sent from server1 to user@....
        >
        > This email get's sent to the postfix relay server.
        >
        > The postfix relay server sees it's going to company1.com so it forwards
        > this email to the company1's mail server.
        >

        > A mail was sent from server2 to user@...
        >
        > The email gets to the postfix relay server.
        >
        > The postfix relay server see's it's going to company2 so it forwards it
        > to company2's email server.
        >
        > I've setup relay boxes that send all email to a certain email server,
        > but never one that's worked like that.. Anyone have any help.

        MX Records work for me.

        Don't set up the relay server with a "relayhost" parameter. Let it use DNS
        MX records.

        > This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
        > information that may be confidential and/or privileged material. If you
        > are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply e-mail
        > immediately.

        Please note that I am not the addressee of the original email and this
        reply constitutes notification that I received it.

        > Use, disclosure or reproduction of any information in this
        > e-mail by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
        > prohibited.

        Ah, well that's a shame because without "disclosure" I can't tell you
        about it, and as I already said, I am not the addressee of the original
        email. So you are, in effect, forbiding me in the second part what you
        required me to do in the first part.

        > Sterling Commerce is not liable for any loss or damage
        > arising in any way from transmission of the message or use of its
        > attachments.

        I think you're still bound by the laws of your country no matter how your
        disclaimer is worded.

        > This email may contain links to third party web sites.

        Aren't you sure?

        > Sterling Commerce is not responsible for the content or privacy policies
        > of such other sites and the existence of a link in this email does not
        > imply an endorsement of the linked web site or the goods or services
        > offered therein.

        Then don't link to them.

        Steven.
        ( Not a fan of disclaimers ).
        --
        Eat drink and be merry! Tommorrow you may be in Utah.