Re: Double spooling/sending problem

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      Phil Barbier:
      > Hi there all,
      >
      > I've got a strange problem that manifested itself (seemingly from
      > nowhere) after a crash/load spike and subsequent hard reset of my web
      > server. The server is a FBSD6.1 box, and postfix runs alongside
      > apache (1.3.xx) in a jail, all was working just fine prior to the
      > reboot (at least I assume the reboot is partially responsible here).
      >
      > I am getting two copies of every e-mail that is set to go out. I've
      > tested this with our web-based eNewsletter software, it sends two. I
      > checked the software, made sure things looked OK there - the software
      > is behaving properly.
      >
      > I then set up a fake cronjob, to test whether the cron report came
      > twice. It did. (something like 00 0 * * * /path/to/nothing in the
      > crontab).
      >
      > I telnetted to the server on port 25, sent a message using raw SMTP,
      > this did NOT send two e-mails, it worked properly as expected.

      Conclusion: Postfix DELIVERS one copy per message.

      > I checked the source of the last test I did, both messages have more
      > or less identical headers, except the message-ID is unique, which
      > leads me to think they're being spooled twice by accident.

      Conclusion: Postfix RECEIVES multiple copies.

      > To be sure, I cleared the queue (postsuper -d ALL to get rid of some
      > older crap from a previous mailer) and restarted the postfix service
      > between doing different tests, to ensure I hadn't just got some
      > whacked out postmaster process. This didn't change anything.
      >
      > I don't know enough about Postfix to troubleshoot this further, and
      > would obviously like to fix this issue ASAP, does anyone have any
      > ideas/thoughts/comments/questions on this one?

      You have already demonstrated that Postfix RECEIVES multiple copies
      of mail. Postfix is doing its job.

      Stop shooting the messenger and find out what is giving Postfix
      the multiple copies.

      Wietse
    • Phil Barbier
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Wietse,

        Thanks for the response.

        I'm not sure what else this issue could be, I was assuming postfix
        handled the spooling/queuing of messages as well. For this to NOT be
        postfix seems a little unlikely, being that it's occuring from
        different sources (cron, PHP e-mails) on the system. If this is not
        the case, then what handles the receiving end, and are there good
        ways of debugging that process?

        Thanks,

        Phil.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Phil Barbier:
          > Wietse,
          >
          > Thanks for the response.
          >
          > I'm not sure what else this issue could be,

          You tested submission via SMTP, but not via /usr/sbin/sendmail.

          See if the problem happens there.

          Wietse

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
            Phil Barbier wrote:
            > Hi there all,
            >
            > I've got a strange problem that manifested itself (seemingly from
            > nowhere) after a crash/load spike and subsequent hard reset of my web
            > server. The server is a FBSD6.1 box, and postfix runs alongside apache
            > (1.3.xx) in a jail, all was working just fine prior to the reboot (at
            > least I assume the reboot is partially responsible here).
            >
            > I am getting two copies of every e-mail that is set to go out. I've
            > tested this with our web-based eNewsletter software, it sends two. I
            > checked the software, made sure things looked OK there - the software
            > is behaving properly.

            Look for the possibility of this software retrying to send a mail if a
            first attempt takes too much time.