Double spooling/sending problem

  • Phil Barbier
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi there all,

      I've got a strange problem that manifested itself (seemingly from nowhere) after a crash/load spike and subsequent hard reset of my web server. The server is a FBSD6.1 box, and postfix runs alongside apache (1.3.xx) in a jail, all was working just fine prior to the reboot (at least I assume the reboot is partially responsible here).

      I am getting two copies of every e-mail that is set to go out. I've tested this with our web-based eNewsletter software, it sends two. I checked the software, made sure things looked OK there - the software is behaving properly.

      I then set up a fake cronjob, to test whether the cron report came twice. It did. (something like 00 0 * * * /path/to/nothing in the crontab).

      I telnetted to the server on port 25, sent a message using raw SMTP, this did NOT send two e-mails, it worked properly as expected.

      I checked the source of the last test I did, both messages have more or less identical headers, except the message-ID is unique, which leads me to think they're being spooled twice by accident.

      To be sure, I cleared the queue (postsuper -d ALL to get rid of some older crap from a previous mailer) and restarted the postfix service between doing different tests, to ensure I hadn't just got some whacked out postmaster process. This didn't change anything.

      I don't know enough about Postfix to troubleshoot this further, and would obviously like to fix this issue ASAP, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts/comments/questions on this one?

      Thanks in advance,

      Phil.

      Phillip Barbier
      Web Programmer
      HOUSE&HOME MEDIA
      511 King Street West, Suite 120
      Toronto, ON, Canada M5V 2Z4
      tel: 416.593.9411 ext 215
      www.canadianhouseandhome.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Phil Barbier:
        > Hi there all,
        >
        > I've got a strange problem that manifested itself (seemingly from
        > nowhere) after a crash/load spike and subsequent hard reset of my web
        > server. The server is a FBSD6.1 box, and postfix runs alongside
        > apache (1.3.xx) in a jail, all was working just fine prior to the
        > reboot (at least I assume the reboot is partially responsible here).
        >
        > I am getting two copies of every e-mail that is set to go out. I've
        > tested this with our web-based eNewsletter software, it sends two. I
        > checked the software, made sure things looked OK there - the software
        > is behaving properly.
        >
        > I then set up a fake cronjob, to test whether the cron report came
        > twice. It did. (something like 00 0 * * * /path/to/nothing in the
        > crontab).
        >
        > I telnetted to the server on port 25, sent a message using raw SMTP,
        > this did NOT send two e-mails, it worked properly as expected.

        Conclusion: Postfix DELIVERS one copy per message.

        > I checked the source of the last test I did, both messages have more
        > or less identical headers, except the message-ID is unique, which
        > leads me to think they're being spooled twice by accident.

        Conclusion: Postfix RECEIVES multiple copies.

        > To be sure, I cleared the queue (postsuper -d ALL to get rid of some
        > older crap from a previous mailer) and restarted the postfix service
        > between doing different tests, to ensure I hadn't just got some
        > whacked out postmaster process. This didn't change anything.
        >
        > I don't know enough about Postfix to troubleshoot this further, and
        > would obviously like to fix this issue ASAP, does anyone have any
        > ideas/thoughts/comments/questions on this one?

        You have already demonstrated that Postfix RECEIVES multiple copies
        of mail. Postfix is doing its job.

        Stop shooting the messenger and find out what is giving Postfix
        the multiple copies.

        Wietse
      • Phil Barbier
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Wietse,

          Thanks for the response.

          I'm not sure what else this issue could be, I was assuming postfix
          handled the spooling/queuing of messages as well. For this to NOT be
          postfix seems a little unlikely, being that it's occuring from
          different sources (cron, PHP e-mails) on the system. If this is not
          the case, then what handles the receiving end, and are there good
          ways of debugging that process?

          Thanks,

          Phil.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
            Phil Barbier:
            > Wietse,
            >
            > Thanks for the response.
            >
            > I'm not sure what else this issue could be,

            You tested submission via SMTP, but not via /usr/sbin/sendmail.

            See if the problem happens there.

            Wietse

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
              Phil Barbier wrote:
              > Hi there all,
              >
              > I've got a strange problem that manifested itself (seemingly from
              > nowhere) after a crash/load spike and subsequent hard reset of my web
              > server. The server is a FBSD6.1 box, and postfix runs alongside apache
              > (1.3.xx) in a jail, all was working just fine prior to the reboot (at
              > least I assume the reboot is partially responsible here).
              >
              > I am getting two copies of every e-mail that is set to go out. I've
              > tested this with our web-based eNewsletter software, it sends two. I
              > checked the software, made sure things looked OK there - the software
              > is behaving properly.

              Look for the possibility of this software retrying to send a mail if a
              first attempt takes too much time.