Re: improved logging and special loganalyzer

  • Hans du Plooy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      > I need a loganalyzer which helps me to find certain mails where the users
      > claims
      > that they are lost. I looked at various postfix loganalyzer that collect
      > statistical data but I need something where I feed a postfix log in and
      > get a
      > list of all mails with DATE, FROM, TO, STATUS.
      > I'm just writing something in perl, but I'm sure there is already
      > somethings out
      > there.
      >
      > Second it would be very handy to get a list that also includes the
      > Subjects, so
      > looking for certain emails would be much more easier.

      Hi Peter,

      When you're done with this or found something useful, please post it here.
      I still find grep to be my most effective tool and my scripting abilities
      is just to basic to make something nice out of it.

      Thanks
      Hans
    • peter pilsl
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hans du Plooy wrote:

        > When you're done with this or found something useful, please post it here.
        > I still find grep to be my most effective tool and my scripting abilities
        > is just to basic to make something nice out of it.

        I just wrote a quick&dirty - logfile-grepper that can be found at

        http://www.goldfisch.at/goldfisch/tech/opensource/postfix_log_grep

        anyone is welcomed to use...

        best,
        peter

        --
        mag. peter pilsl - goldfisch.at
        IT-Consulting
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          peter pilsl wrote:

          > I need a loganalyzer which helps me to find certain mails where the
          > users claims that they are lost. I looked at various postfix
          > loganalyzer that collect statistical data but I need something where I
          > feed a postfix log in and get a list of all mails with DATE, FROM, TO,
          > STATUS.
          > I'm just writing something in perl, but I'm sure there is already
          > somethings out there.
          >
          > Second it would be very handy to get a list that also includes the
          > Subjects, so looking for certain emails would be much more easier.

          bcc to $recipient@copy.$domain and deliver this to an sql db. then use
          whatever tool to access the db (SQLyog, pgadmin, phpùyadmin, ...).

          > Earlier I used sendmail with a homemade perl-mailer where it was easy
          > to implement such a function. But now I use postfix/cyrus and dont
          > know where to create such a list in this chain. (I'm quite a
          > postfix-newbie)
          >
          > thnx,
          > peter

        • Elmehdi Bendriss
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
            Hi,
                Can you please give more details as I face the same problem from time to time.
            Thank you.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
              Elmehdi Bendriss wrote:
              > Hi,
              > Can you please give more details as I face the same problem from
              > time to
              > time.

              please do not top post. if you don't see what this means, google.

              use recipient_bcc_maps to archive your mail.

              # cat main.cf
              recipient_bcc_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
              transport_maps = /etc/postfix/transport

              # cat recipient_bcc
              /(.*)@(example.com/ $1@...

              # cat transport
              bcc.example.com dbmail:

              you'll need to setup dbmail for this, or find an alternative.