improved logging and special loganalyzer

  • peter pilsl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      I need a loganalyzer which helps me to find certain mails where the users claims
      that they are lost. I looked at various postfix loganalyzer that collect
      statistical data but I need something where I feed a postfix log in and get a
      list of all mails with DATE, FROM, TO, STATUS.
      I'm just writing something in perl, but I'm sure there is already somethings out
      there.

      Second it would be very handy to get a list that also includes the Subjects, so
      looking for certain emails would be much more easier.

      Earlier I used sendmail with a homemade perl-mailer where it was easy to
      implement such a function. But now I use postfix/cyrus and dont know where to
      create such a list in this chain. (I'm quite a postfix-newbie)

      thnx,
      peter

      --
      mag. peter pilsl - goldfisch.at
      IT-Consulting
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        > I need a loganalyzer which helps me to find certain mails where the users
        > claims
        > that they are lost. I looked at various postfix loganalyzer that collect
        > statistical data but I need something where I feed a postfix log in and
        > get a
        > list of all mails with DATE, FROM, TO, STATUS.
        > I'm just writing something in perl, but I'm sure there is already
        > somethings out
        > there.
        >
        > Second it would be very handy to get a list that also includes the
        > Subjects, so
        > looking for certain emails would be much more easier.

        Hi Peter,

        When you're done with this or found something useful, please post it here.
        I still find grep to be my most effective tool and my scripting abilities
        is just to basic to make something nice out of it.

        Thanks
        Hans
      • peter pilsl
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hans du Plooy wrote:

          > When you're done with this or found something useful, please post it here.
          > I still find grep to be my most effective tool and my scripting abilities
          > is just to basic to make something nice out of it.

          I just wrote a quick&dirty - logfile-grepper that can be found at

          http://www.goldfisch.at/goldfisch/tech/opensource/postfix_log_grep

          anyone is welcomed to use...

          best,
          peter

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            peter pilsl wrote:

            > I need a loganalyzer which helps me to find certain mails where the
            > users claims that they are lost. I looked at various postfix
            > loganalyzer that collect statistical data but I need something where I
            > feed a postfix log in and get a list of all mails with DATE, FROM, TO,
            > STATUS.
            > I'm just writing something in perl, but I'm sure there is already
            > somethings out there.
            >
            > Second it would be very handy to get a list that also includes the
            > Subjects, so looking for certain emails would be much more easier.

            bcc to $recipient@copy.$domain and deliver this to an sql db. then use
            whatever tool to access the db (SQLyog, pgadmin, phpùyadmin, ...).

            > Earlier I used sendmail with a homemade perl-mailer where it was easy
            > to implement such a function. But now I use postfix/cyrus and dont
            > know where to create such a list in this chain. (I'm quite a
            > postfix-newbie)
            >
            > thnx,
            > peter

          • Elmehdi Bendriss
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
              Hi,
                  Can you please give more details as I face the same problem from time to time.
              Thank you.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
                Elmehdi Bendriss wrote:
                > Hi,
                > Can you please give more details as I face the same problem from
                > time to
                > time.

                please do not top post. if you don't see what this means, google.

                use recipient_bcc_maps to archive your mail.

                # cat main.cf
                recipient_bcc_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
                transport_maps = /etc/postfix/transport

                # cat recipient_bcc
                /(.*)@(example.com/ $1@...

                # cat transport
                bcc.example.com dbmail:

                you'll need to setup dbmail for this, or find an alternative.