MX record question

  • Brock Palen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31 7:53 PM
      I have a question for postfix admins. I have a postfix server that
      hosts several domains. (all virtual). The server only has a single
      IP and thus when you do a reverse look up you always only get one
      name mail.domain1.com so if i have the MX record for one of the
      domains i host set to mail.otherdomain.com that resolves the same
      address if another mail server to verify sending mail does a reverse
      lookup to make sure the name and ip match it will fail. Is this much
      of a problem? Or should i se the MX record for all domains to
      mail.domain1.com ?

      Is there a generic email admin list that would be more appropriate
      than postfix-users? (even though i am a long time postfix user)
      Great software by the way.

      Brock Palen
      brockp@...
      Web and Email Hosting for all
      admin@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31 8:18 PM
        At 09:53 PM 1/31/2007, Brock Palen wrote:
        >I have a question for postfix admins. I have a postfix server that
        >hosts several domains. (all virtual). The server only has a single
        >IP and thus when you do a reverse look up you always only get one
        >name mail.domain1.com so if i have the MX record for one of the
        >domains i host set to mail.otherdomain.com that resolves the same
        >address if another mail server to verify sending mail does a reverse
        >lookup to make sure the name and ip match it will fail. Is this much
        >of a problem?

        Shouldn't be. It's common for mail to be hosted at some "unrelated" domain.

        >Or should i se the MX record for all domains to
        >mail.domain1.com ?

        This should be easiest for you. This is the more "correct" solution
        since that's the real name of the mail server. But either way should
        be acceptable.

        --
        Noel Jones
      • Fernando Dal Moro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31 8:41 PM
          If your mail server is A record -> mail.maindomain.com, point all of the MX records to mail.maindomain.com. It is a common misconception that you need to have an A record under each domain and point the MX record to that A record. Just make sure that the PTR points to main.maindomain.com and that your ISP set's the reverse lookup for your email server IP to your DNS server.

          On 1/31/07, Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:
          At 09:53 PM 1/31/2007, Brock Palen wrote:
          >I have a question for postfix admins.  I have a postfix server that
          >hosts several domains.  (all virtual).  The server only has a single
          >IP and thus when you do a reverse look up you always only get one
          >name  mail.domain1.com   so if i have the MX record for one of the
          >domains i host set to mail.otherdomain.com  that resolves the same
          >address if another mail server to verify sending mail does a reverse
          >lookup to make sure the name and ip match it will fail.  Is this much
          >of a problem?

          Shouldn't be.  It's common for mail to be hosted at some "unrelated" domain.

          >Or should i se the MX record for all domains to
          >mail.domain1.com   ?

          This should be easiest for you.  This is the more "correct" solution
          since that's the real name of the mail server.  But either way should
          be acceptable.

          --
          Noel Jones

        • Geert Hendrickx
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:53:52PM -0500, Brock Palen wrote:
            > I have a question for postfix admins. I have a postfix server that
            > hosts several domains. (all virtual). The server only has a single
            > IP and thus when you do a reverse look up you always only get one
            > name mail.domain1.com so if i have the MX record for one of the
            > domains i host set to mail.otherdomain.com that resolves the same
            > address if another mail server to verify sending mail does a reverse
            > lookup to make sure the name and ip match it will fail. Is this much
            > of a problem? Or should i se the MX record for all domains to
            > mail.domain1.com ?

            What matters is that the IP address (which is the same for all domains)
            has a proper PTR record to a hostname, and that this hostname, whatever
            it is (probably mail.domain1.com in your case), resolves to the same IP.

            Geert