Re: postfix open relay - Please help.

    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 31 8:37 AM
      At 10:12 PM 1/30/2007, sam wun wrote:
      >> >The output of postconf -n is:
      >> >
      >> >default_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      >>
      >>Rather low, isn't that? Some reason to not use the default?
      >what should be the correct value?

      The default value is usually fine. Don't adjust it without a reason.

      >> >inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1, 10.1.10.2, 10.1.99.3
      >>
      >>Some good reason to not use the default of "all" above?
      >ok, I will change it to "all".

      > >>smtp_bind_address = 88.167.244.137
      >
      > >Is this address available on a local interface?
      >
      >yes it is. it is the one connected to the internet.

      I wonder how you are able to receive mail with postfix listening on a
      private network address and sending mail out an internet
      address. This just seems wrong.
      If you are behind a NAT device postfix should only be configured with
      the internal addresses, and the external IP should be listed in
      proxy_interfaces.

      >> >local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      >> >local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps $virtual_maps hash:/etc/postfix/userlist
      >I have the following line defined below this implementation:
      >virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
      >should I move it to above that?
      >
      >>$virtual_maps doesn't belong in local_recipient_maps unless you have
      >>been mixing address classes. Please
      >>see: http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

      $virtual_alias_maps does not belong in local_recipient_maps. If you
      need it there for your mail system to operate, you have mixed up the
      address classes. While postfix may work when the address classes are
      mixed up, it may break next time you upgrade, or when the next guy
      tries to change things. Read the ADDRESS_CLASS_README file and
      figure out what you've done wrong. Start a new thread if you need
      help with that.

      >> >relay_domains = /etc/postfix/relay_domains
      >this file contains nothing.

      I fail to see how you can possibly be an open relay. If you still
      think you are an open relay, post evidence of your system relaying
      mail it shouldn't.

      >> >smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access
      >> >hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access permit_mynetworks,
      >> >reject_unauth_destination
      >>
      >>What's in recipient_access? What's the purpose of that map?
      >this file is emtpy.

      You should remove it from your configuration if the file is
      empty. This is not a safe place for a recipient access
      table. http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html#danger

      If you want to continue this thread, you will need to show evidence
      you are an open relay. So far all you have shown is normal mail operation.

      --
      Noel Jones
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 21, 2007
        At 12:23 AM 2/21/2007, John wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I wish to restrict an internal mailing list to stop spam on one of
        >our main distribution lists. I can across the following instructions
        >which looked very definitive and promising:
        >
        >http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#internal-list
        >
        >I'm using postfix version 2.1.5-9. The server isn't throwing any
        >errors, but appears to ignore the configuration as described in the
        >above article.
        >
        >Any suggestions would be most welcome. Any links to good articles to
        >Postfix troubleshooting would be really welcome too.

        Show us what you've done and how it's not working. Show "postconf
        -n" output plus the definitions of your smtpd_restriction_classes and
        logs demonstrating the problem.

        Noel Jones