Re: The Sender header

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2007
      Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Noel Jones:

      >>> No, this is how Outlook (correctly IMHO) displays messages where
      >>> "From:" and "Sender:" are both present and different. Still, it
      >>> is not Postfix that is adding "Sender:"...
      >>>
      >> Ah. In that case, the OP can use header_checks IGNORE action to
      >> remove the offending Sender: header (assuming the header is present
      >> before the mail gets to postfix).
      >>

      > Postfix 1.1 and later do not add Sender: headers.
      >
      > Wietse

      Thanks for all the responses. I didn't mean my previous post to be
      accusatory in any way, just stating what it looked like to me.

      I've put some information at
      http://scratch.leftbrained.org/email_test.txt like postconf -n output,
      and a test email send I did. (I've changed the domain and IP address of
      my mail server in that file)

      /usr/bin/sendmail.postfix *is* in fact the Postfix sendmail binary,
      right? I had sendmail installed on these machines, (CentOS 4.2 [RedHat
      Ent.]), then installed Postfix then uninstalled sendmail. Could it be
      something leftover from Sendmail?

      Something not included on the above URL, I connected to Postfix
      directly, and sent the mail from there, It didn't set the Sneder header,
      but it also didn't set the Return-Path header (which I need to specify
      to handle bounces).

      So I guess the binary is adding the header and Somehow I've got some
      other version of the sendmail binary on these computers?

      Thanks,
      Chris
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2007
        Chris:
        > So I guess the binary is adding the header and Somehow I've got some
        > other version of the sendmail binary on these computers?

        Don't speculate, measure. Look at mail that is frozen in the
        hold queue.

        Update main.cf with:

        /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        header_checks = static:hold

        # postfix reload
        # echo test | mail -s test somewhere
        # postcat /var/spool/postfix/hold/filename

        Where filename is the name of the queue file.

        Once you're done, remove the header_checks line and #postfix reload.

        Wietse
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2007
          Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Chris:
          >
          >> So I guess the binary is adding the header and Somehow I've got some
          >> other version of the sendmail binary on these computers?
          >>

          > Don't speculate, measure. Look at mail that is frozen in the
          > hold queue.
          >
          > Update main.cf with:
          >
          > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
          > header_checks = static:hold
          >
          > # postfix reload
          > # echo test | mail -s test somewhere
          > # postcat /var/spool/postfix/hold/filename
          >
          > Where filename is the name of the queue file.
          >
          > Once you're done, remove the header_checks line and #postfix reload.
          >
          > Wietse

          Ok, I've put the basics of what I did here:
          http://scratch.leftbrained.org/email_test_2.txt ,

          It didn't show the Sender (or Return-Path) headers, additionally, they
          weren't there when I received the email after releasing the hold.

          I tried another test , just with the mail function , and that didn't
          add the headers..

          The hold also captured a few real emails and they didn't have either of
          the headers present.

          The server I've been testing with is a server that was relaying through
          my other server. I see exactly the same behavior on that one as well.

          Thanks,
          Chris
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
            Chris wrote:
            > Thanks for all the responses. I didn't mean my previous post to be
            > accusatory in any way, just stating what it looked like to me.
            >
            > I've put some information at
            > http://scratch.leftbrained.org/email_test.txt like postconf -n output,
            > and a test email send I did. (I've changed the domain and IP address
            > of my mail server in that file)

            there you have:

            by dm13.mta.everyone.net (EON-INBOUND) with ESMTP
            id dm13.45bce287.2b1619; Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:10:27 -0800

            This is not postfix. postfix says
            ... by $hostname (Postfix) ...
            not EON-INBOUND.

            there you also have:

            /^Sender:/ IGNORE

            so you are destroying information that would certainly help.

            > /usr/bin/sendmail.postfix *is* in fact the Postfix sendmail binary,
            > right? I had sendmail installed on these machines, (CentOS 4.2 [RedHat
            > Ent.]), then installed Postfix then uninstalled sendmail. Could it be
            > something leftover from Sendmail?

            On a centos, use "alternatives --set mta" and select postfix. also make
            sure to stop sendmail if it is running (should not be necessary, but
            better make sure).