RE: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Tom Kovar
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
      As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
      mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
      and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
      error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
      supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
      and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).

      So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
      mechanism...

      As to the TLS - I am aware that it is not quite the best way from
      security perspective, but I do implement things stepwise. After I have
      tested everything on open sockets, I will introduce SSL. For a short
      time I do not see it such an issue.

      Rgds,
      --- Tom

      Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
    • Rene van Hoek
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
        Tom Kovar wrote:

        > --- T

        We advice our customers to configure outlook in the following way (texts
        are in Dutch, but the screenshots should be clear):

        http://support.active8.nl/index.srf?pkn=file_id&pkv=27&lang_id=360

        I have a Windows machine near me. If you can send me an test-account, I
        would be happy to test if I can authenticate with your mta. I assume you
        don't have an Windows machine currently available?

        By the way, please don't top-post. It makes this thread harder to follow.

        Greetings,

        rene at active8 nl
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
          Tom Kovar wrote:
          > I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
          > remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
          > stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
          > - so this will not be the problem, either.

          - enable both PLAIN and LOGIN
          - telnet to your postfix and see what it offers (forward the result here)
          - post the output of 'postconf -n'
          - try sending mail with outlook. post the corresponding logs

          > Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

          This is unrelated. IMAP != ESMTP.
        • Tony Earnshaw
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
            Tom Kovar wrote:

            > I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
            > remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
            > stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
            > - so this will not be the problem, either.

            Oh yes, it is. We have MS Outlook Express and Outlook clients and they
            connect without problems. Do two things:

            1: telnet mail.barlaeus.nl 25
            ehlo mydomain.net

            See what it says.

            2: openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect mail.barlaeus.nl:25

            See what it says.

            You need the "AUTH=LOGIN" for the MS client to recognize it. You
            therefore need broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes in main.cf.

            > Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

            What the bleeding heck does that have to do with the price of fish?

            --Tonni

            --
            Tony Earnshaw
            Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
          • Rene van Hoek
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
              Tony Earnshaw wrote:
              > Rene van Hoek wrote:
              >

              > [...]
              >
              >> I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
              >>
              >> Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
              >> Trying 194.212.102.169...
              >> Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
              >> Escape character is '^]'.
              >> 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
              >> EHLO test.a8.nl
              >> 250-mail.kovarovi.org
              >> 250-PIPELINING
              >> 250-SIZE 10240000
              >> 250-VRFY
              >> 250-ETRN
              >> 250-AUTH PLAIN
              >> 250-AUTH=PLAIN
              >> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
              >> 250-8BITMIME
              >> 250 DSN
              >>

              >> Also according to the maillog, the client don't authenticate. So the
              >> problem is as far as I can see with the configuration of the client.
              >>
              >> As an test, did you try for yourself to relay mail through your mta
              >> with Windows and Outlook? In this way you can rule-out (or confirm)
              >> client configuration mistakes.
              >
              > MS clients need AUTH LOGIN, PLAIN won't work; also it's a security
              > mistake to offer AUTH PLAIN or LOGIN without first hiding them with
              > smtpd_use_tls = yes and smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes.

              I am aware that in my configuration, usernames and passwords are sent in
              clear-text. That is an security-risk, I am aware.

              On the other hand, I have to deal with a lot of customers which find it
              difficult already to configure their e-mail client in the most simple form.

              I had to balance these two issues and therefore came up with this
              solution for our situation. Don't worry, we don't experience any
              security issues and we monitor our logs closely for unwanted relaying.

              >> Otherwise refer your client to Microsoft Support ;-)
              >
              > After OP has waited his due time and paid his due he'll get to hear the
              > same from them.

              I know, it was also a joke.

              > --Tonni

              Greetings,

              Rene at active8 nl
            • Michael Wang
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                Tom Kovar wrote:
                > As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
                > mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
                > and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
                > error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
                > supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
                > and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).
                >
                > So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
                > mechanism...

                I fiddled with Outlook 2002 (don't have Express) and my Postfix setup
                which is also running Dovecot for both IMAP and SASL and the only way I
                was able to get the Outlook not to send the AUTH command is if I turned
                off the "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" check box.
                Are these Windows machines that are trying to connect personal machines
                or are they setup in some sort of managed environment where perhaps
                something is overriding that setting? I don't know enough about Outlook
                to suggest where to look for that sort of thing.

                Oh and Outlook 2002 does handle PLAIN only (but it prefers LOGIN if both
                are offered) so that's definitely not the issue.

                --
                Michael Wang
              • Magnus Bäck
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                  On Monday, January 01, 2007 at 14:32 CET,
                  Rene van Hoek <rene@...> wrote:

                  > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
                  >
                  > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
                  > Trying 194.212.102.169...
                  > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
                  > Escape character is '^]'.
                  > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
                  > EHLO test.a8.nl
                  > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
                  > 250-PIPELINING
                  > 250-SIZE 10240000
                  > 250-VRFY
                  > 250-ETRN
                  > 250-AUTH PLAIN
                  > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
                  > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                  > 250-8BITMIME
                  > 250 DSN

                  No, that's not okay. The Microsoft-style LOGIN mechanism is missing.
                  More recent Microsoft clients may support the PLAIN mechansim as well,
                  but since people may be running older software I'd say it's a
                  requirement to provide both PLAIN and LOGIN.

                  While the OP is fixing LOGIN, I suggest he fixes support for CRAM-MD5
                  and DIGEST-MD5 as well so that clients won't be forced to send passwords
                  in the clear.

                  [...]

                  --
                  Magnus Bäck
                  magnus@...
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                    So, thank you all.
                    Problem solved, it is really the LOGIN method, that is required for SMTP
                    SASL. But the key thing is the "broken_sasl_auth_clients" story, i.e.
                    what matters is the **order** of proposed methods. The M$ clients really
                    need to see 250-AUTH=LOGIN in the message.

                    What I tried earlier was dovecot proposing methods "PLAIN" and "LOGIN".
                    This leads to the SMTP server response to client's EHLO message
                    250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                    which is not recognised by the M$ clients (without any comment or
                    message, anyway) - even if broken_sasl_auth_clients is set to yes all
                    the time. If my dovecot proposes the methods in the reversed order, i.e.
                    "LOGIN" and "PLAIN", Bill Gates seems satisfied.

                    My love towards this damned Micro$oft grows stronger and deeper. Cashing
                    big money for delivering scrap. Well well.

                    Once again, thanks for the extensive help.

                    Best regards,
                    --- Tom

                    Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                  • Tom Kovar
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                      Yeah, Magnus, very much right. But not only that: LOGIN apparently has
                      to be the **FIRST** method proposed by the server - if not, M$ does
                      neither find nor recognise it.

                      Tack så mycket,
                      --- Tom

                        Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                      • Bill Landry
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Tom Kovar wrote the following on 1/1/2007 10:06 AM -0800:
                          > Yeah, Magnus, very much right. But not only that: LOGIN apparently has
                          > to be the **FIRST** method proposed by the server - if not, M$ does
                          > neither find nor recognise it.

                          The order presented doesn't matter. I have:

                          220 mail.inetmsg.com - INetMsg ESMTP Mail Service - UCE Not Permitted!
                          ehlo test.net
                          250-mail.inetmsg.com
                          250-PIPELINING
                          250-SIZE 10240000
                          250-ETRN
                          250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                          250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                          250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                          250-8BITMIME
                          250 DSN
                          quit
                          221 2.0.0 Bye

                          and it works fine with both Outlook and Outlook Express clients.

                          Bill
                        • Tony Earnshaw
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                            Magnus Bäck wrote:

                            [...]

                            > No, that's not okay. The Microsoft-style LOGIN mechanism is missing.
                            > More recent Microsoft clients may support the PLAIN mechansim as well,
                            > but since people may be running older software I'd say it's a
                            > requirement to provide both PLAIN and LOGIN.

                            Yep

                            > While the OP is fixing LOGIN, I suggest he fixes support for CRAM-MD5
                            > and DIGEST-MD5 as well so that clients won't be forced to send passwords
                            > in the clear.

                            Sending passwords in the clear can be avoided with TLS c.q. SSL.

                            Also, unfortunately at the last count (beta < 1) Dovecot didn't support
                            CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 - just as it didn't support many of the things
                            that are possible with Cyrus and on the IMAP level Courier
                            IMAP/maildrop. Getting CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 to work with Postfix (at
                            least with Cyrus SASL) means using auxprop and in our case with an LDAP
                            base, ldapdb.

                            I'd be happy to learn that things on the Dovecot front have improved
                            since last April or so and that it now does support both, though without
                            LDAP-based maildrop (and the underlying authlib service) the mail
                            service that we offer at our site would be impossible.

                            --Tonni

                            --
                            Tony Earnshaw
                            Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                          • James Turnbull

                              Tony Earnshaw wrote:
                              > Also, unfortunately at the last count (beta < 1) Dovecot didn't support
                              > CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 - just as it didn't support many of the things
                              > that are possible with Cyrus and on the IMAP level Courier
                              > IMAP/maildrop. Getting CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 to work with Postfix (at
                              > least with Cyrus SASL) means using auxprop and in our case with an LDAP
                              > base, ldapdb.

                              Only the 1.0 release candidates support CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5. I can
                              say that I have been running RC15 in a couple of places as production
                              without issue. YMMV. I've also had no issues with the LDAP backend for
                              authentication - though that's not in production for us.

                              Regards

                              James Turnbull

                              - --
                              James Turnbull <james@...>
                              - ---
                              Author of Pro Nagios 2.0
                              (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596099/)

                              Hardening Linux
                              (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594444/)
                              - ---
                              PGP Key (http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x0C42DF40)
                            • Robert Schetterer
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                                Michael Wang schrieb:
                                > Tom Kovar wrote:
                                >> As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
                                >> mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
                                >> and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
                                >> error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
                                >> supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
                                >> and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).
                                >>
                                >> So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
                                >> mechanism...
                                >
                                > I fiddled with Outlook 2002 (don't have Express) and my Postfix setup
                                > which is also running Dovecot for both IMAP and SASL and the only way I
                                > was able to get the Outlook not to send the AUTH command is if I turned
                                > off the "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" check box.
                                > Are these Windows machines that are trying to connect personal machines
                                > or are they setup in some sort of managed environment where perhaps
                                > something is overriding that setting? I don't know enough about Outlook
                                > to suggest where to look for that sort of thing.
                                >
                                > Oh and Outlook 2002 does handle PLAIN only (but it prefers LOGIN if both
                                > are offered) so that's definitely not the issue.

                                Hi,
                                i have postfix, saslauthd , mysql, dovecot running on
                                many servers ( suse 10.1), i have no problem, using
                                outlook express, outlook, thunderbird
                                ( latest versions )
                                whatever pop3, imap, imaps, pop3s
                                smtp, smtps
                                with virtual domain postfixadmin
                                so in my eyses problems are a configure issue
                                i configured saslauthd to ask imap dovecot with plaintext passwords
                                ( plain is not not nice but needed for other stuff in my case )
                                Regards and happy new year

                                --
                                Diese Nachricht wurde auf Viren und andere gefährliche Inhalte untersucht
                                und ist - aktuelle Virenscanner vorausgesetzt - sauber.