Re: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Michael Wang
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
      Rene van Hoek wrote:
      > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
      >
      > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
      > Trying 194.212.102.169...
      > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
      > Escape character is '^]'.
      > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
      > EHLO test.a8.nl
      > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
      > 250-PIPELINING
      > 250-SIZE 10240000
      > 250-VRFY
      > 250-ETRN
      > 250-AUTH PLAIN
      > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
      > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      > 250-8BITMIME
      > 250 DSN

      I don't believe Outlook handles PLAIN, I believe it needs to be LOGIN
      (or NTLM if that's checked in the client), so try modifying your
      dovecot.conf file and add that to the mechanisms parameter.

      --
      Michael Wang
    • Tom Kovar
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
        I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
        remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
        stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
        - so this will not be the problem, either.

        Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

        --- T

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
          As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
          mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
          and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
          error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
          supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
          and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).

          So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
          mechanism...

          As to the TLS - I am aware that it is not quite the best way from
          security perspective, but I do implement things stepwise. After I have
          tested everything on open sockets, I will introduce SSL. For a short
          time I do not see it such an issue.

          Rgds,
          --- Tom

          > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
          >
          > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
          > Trying 194.212.102.169...
          > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
          > Escape character is '^]'.
          > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
          > EHLO test.a8.nl
          > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
          > 250-PIPELINING
          > 250-SIZE 10240000
          > 250-VRFY
          > 250-ETRN
          > 250-AUTH PLAIN
          > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
          > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
          > 250-8BITMIME
          > 250 DSN
          >

          > Also according to the maillog, the client don't authenticate. So the
          > problem is as far as I can see with the configuration of the client.
          >
          > As an test, did you try for yourself to relay mail through your mta
          with
          > Windows and Outlook? In this way you can rule-out (or confirm) client
          > configuration mistakes.

          MS clients need AUTH LOGIN, PLAIN won't work; also it's a security
          mistake to offer AUTH PLAIN or LOGIN without first hiding them with
          smtpd_use_tls = yes and smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes.

          > Otherwise refer your client to Microsoft Support ;-)

          After OP has waited his due time and paid his due he'll get to hear the
          same from them.

          --Tonni

          --
          Tony Earnshaw
          Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
        • Rene van Hoek
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
            Tom Kovar wrote:

            > --- T

            We advice our customers to configure outlook in the following way (texts
            are in Dutch, but the screenshots should be clear):

            http://support.active8.nl/index.srf?pkn=file_id&pkv=27&lang_id=360

            I have a Windows machine near me. If you can send me an test-account, I
            would be happy to test if I can authenticate with your mta. I assume you
            don't have an Windows machine currently available?

            By the way, please don't top-post. It makes this thread harder to follow.

            Greetings,

            rene at active8 nl
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
              Tom Kovar wrote:
              > I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
              > remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
              > stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
              > - so this will not be the problem, either.

              - enable both PLAIN and LOGIN
              - telnet to your postfix and see what it offers (forward the result here)
              - post the output of 'postconf -n'
              - try sending mail with outlook. post the corresponding logs

              > Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

              This is unrelated. IMAP != ESMTP.
            • Tony Earnshaw
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                Tom Kovar wrote:

                > I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
                > remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
                > stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
                > - so this will not be the problem, either.

                Oh yes, it is. We have MS Outlook Express and Outlook clients and they
                connect without problems. Do two things:

                1: telnet mail.barlaeus.nl 25
                ehlo mydomain.net

                See what it says.

                2: openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect mail.barlaeus.nl:25

                See what it says.

                You need the "AUTH=LOGIN" for the MS client to recognize it. You
                therefore need broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes in main.cf.

                > Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

                What the bleeding heck does that have to do with the price of fish?

                --Tonni

                --
                Tony Earnshaw
                Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
              • Rene van Hoek
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Tony Earnshaw wrote:
                  > Rene van Hoek wrote:
                  >

                  > [...]
                  >
                  >> I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
                  >>
                  >> Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
                  >> Trying 194.212.102.169...
                  >> Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
                  >> Escape character is '^]'.
                  >> 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
                  >> EHLO test.a8.nl
                  >> 250-mail.kovarovi.org
                  >> 250-PIPELINING
                  >> 250-SIZE 10240000
                  >> 250-VRFY
                  >> 250-ETRN
                  >> 250-AUTH PLAIN
                  >> 250-AUTH=PLAIN
                  >> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                  >> 250-8BITMIME
                  >> 250 DSN
                  >>

                  >> Also according to the maillog, the client don't authenticate. So the
                  >> problem is as far as I can see with the configuration of the client.
                  >>
                  >> As an test, did you try for yourself to relay mail through your mta
                  >> with Windows and Outlook? In this way you can rule-out (or confirm)
                  >> client configuration mistakes.
                  >
                  > MS clients need AUTH LOGIN, PLAIN won't work; also it's a security
                  > mistake to offer AUTH PLAIN or LOGIN without first hiding them with
                  > smtpd_use_tls = yes and smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes.

                  I am aware that in my configuration, usernames and passwords are sent in
                  clear-text. That is an security-risk, I am aware.

                  On the other hand, I have to deal with a lot of customers which find it
                  difficult already to configure their e-mail client in the most simple form.

                  I had to balance these two issues and therefore came up with this
                  solution for our situation. Don't worry, we don't experience any
                  security issues and we monitor our logs closely for unwanted relaying.

                  >> Otherwise refer your client to Microsoft Support ;-)
                  >
                  > After OP has waited his due time and paid his due he'll get to hear the
                  > same from them.

                  I know, it was also a joke.

                  > --Tonni

                  Greetings,

                  Rene at active8 nl
                • Michael Wang
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                    Tom Kovar wrote:
                    > As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
                    > mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
                    > and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
                    > error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
                    > supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
                    > and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).
                    >
                    > So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
                    > mechanism...

                    I fiddled with Outlook 2002 (don't have Express) and my Postfix setup
                    which is also running Dovecot for both IMAP and SASL and the only way I
                    was able to get the Outlook not to send the AUTH command is if I turned
                    off the "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" check box.
                    Are these Windows machines that are trying to connect personal machines
                    or are they setup in some sort of managed environment where perhaps
                    something is overriding that setting? I don't know enough about Outlook
                    to suggest where to look for that sort of thing.

                    Oh and Outlook 2002 does handle PLAIN only (but it prefers LOGIN if both
                    are offered) so that's definitely not the issue.

                    --
                    Michael Wang
                  • Magnus Bäck
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                      On Monday, January 01, 2007 at 14:32 CET,
                      Rene van Hoek <rene@...> wrote:

                      > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
                      >
                      > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
                      > Trying 194.212.102.169...
                      > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
                      > Escape character is '^]'.
                      > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
                      > EHLO test.a8.nl
                      > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
                      > 250-PIPELINING
                      > 250-SIZE 10240000
                      > 250-VRFY
                      > 250-ETRN
                      > 250-AUTH PLAIN
                      > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
                      > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                      > 250-8BITMIME
                      > 250 DSN

                      No, that's not okay. The Microsoft-style LOGIN mechanism is missing.
                      More recent Microsoft clients may support the PLAIN mechansim as well,
                      but since people may be running older software I'd say it's a
                      requirement to provide both PLAIN and LOGIN.

                      While the OP is fixing LOGIN, I suggest he fixes support for CRAM-MD5
                      and DIGEST-MD5 as well so that clients won't be forced to send passwords
                      in the clear.

                      [...]

                      --
                      Magnus Bäck
                      magnus@...
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                        So, thank you all.
                        Problem solved, it is really the LOGIN method, that is required for SMTP
                        SASL. But the key thing is the "broken_sasl_auth_clients" story, i.e.
                        what matters is the **order** of proposed methods. The M$ clients really
                        need to see 250-AUTH=LOGIN in the message.

                        What I tried earlier was dovecot proposing methods "PLAIN" and "LOGIN".
                        This leads to the SMTP server response to client's EHLO message
                        250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                        which is not recognised by the M$ clients (without any comment or
                        message, anyway) - even if broken_sasl_auth_clients is set to yes all
                        the time. If my dovecot proposes the methods in the reversed order, i.e.
                        "LOGIN" and "PLAIN", Bill Gates seems satisfied.

                        My love towards this damned Micro$oft grows stronger and deeper. Cashing
                        big money for delivering scrap. Well well.

                        Once again, thanks for the extensive help.

                        Best regards,
                        --- Tom

                        Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                      • Tom Kovar
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Yeah, Magnus, very much right. But not only that: LOGIN apparently has
                          to be the **FIRST** method proposed by the server - if not, M$ does
                          neither find nor recognise it.

                          Tack så mycket,
                          --- Tom

                            Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                          • Bill Landry
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                              Tom Kovar wrote the following on 1/1/2007 10:06 AM -0800:
                              > Yeah, Magnus, very much right. But not only that: LOGIN apparently has
                              > to be the **FIRST** method proposed by the server - if not, M$ does
                              > neither find nor recognise it.

                              The order presented doesn't matter. I have:

                              220 mail.inetmsg.com - INetMsg ESMTP Mail Service - UCE Not Permitted!
                              ehlo test.net
                              250-mail.inetmsg.com
                              250-PIPELINING
                              250-SIZE 10240000
                              250-ETRN
                              250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                              250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                              250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                              250-8BITMIME
                              250 DSN
                              quit
                              221 2.0.0 Bye

                              and it works fine with both Outlook and Outlook Express clients.

                              Bill
                            • Tony Earnshaw
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                                Magnus Bäck wrote:

                                [...]

                                > No, that's not okay. The Microsoft-style LOGIN mechanism is missing.
                                > More recent Microsoft clients may support the PLAIN mechansim as well,
                                > but since people may be running older software I'd say it's a
                                > requirement to provide both PLAIN and LOGIN.

                                Yep

                                > While the OP is fixing LOGIN, I suggest he fixes support for CRAM-MD5
                                > and DIGEST-MD5 as well so that clients won't be forced to send passwords
                                > in the clear.

                                Sending passwords in the clear can be avoided with TLS c.q. SSL.

                                Also, unfortunately at the last count (beta < 1) Dovecot didn't support
                                CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 - just as it didn't support many of the things
                                that are possible with Cyrus and on the IMAP level Courier
                                IMAP/maildrop. Getting CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 to work with Postfix (at
                                least with Cyrus SASL) means using auxprop and in our case with an LDAP
                                base, ldapdb.

                                I'd be happy to learn that things on the Dovecot front have improved
                                since last April or so and that it now does support both, though without
                                LDAP-based maildrop (and the underlying authlib service) the mail
                                service that we offer at our site would be impossible.

                                --Tonni

                                --
                                Tony Earnshaw
                                Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
                              • James Turnbull

                                  Tony Earnshaw wrote:
                                  > Also, unfortunately at the last count (beta < 1) Dovecot didn't support
                                  > CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 - just as it didn't support many of the things
                                  > that are possible with Cyrus and on the IMAP level Courier
                                  > IMAP/maildrop. Getting CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 to work with Postfix (at
                                  > least with Cyrus SASL) means using auxprop and in our case with an LDAP
                                  > base, ldapdb.

                                  Only the 1.0 release candidates support CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5. I can
                                  say that I have been running RC15 in a couple of places as production
                                  without issue. YMMV. I've also had no issues with the LDAP backend for
                                  authentication - though that's not in production for us.

                                  Regards

                                  James Turnbull

                                  - --
                                  James Turnbull <james@...>
                                  - ---
                                  Author of Pro Nagios 2.0
                                  (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596099/)

                                  Hardening Linux
                                  (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594444/)
                                  - ---
                                  PGP Key (http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x0C42DF40)
                                • Robert Schetterer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 1, 2007
                                    Michael Wang schrieb:
                                    > Tom Kovar wrote:
                                    >> As stated in my previous mail - offering LOGIN as authentication
                                    >> mechanism does not change anything on the problem. Offering both PLAIN
                                    >> and LOGIN does not change anything, offering only LOGIN leads to an
                                    >> error message by the client that the server does not offer any mechanism
                                    >> supported by Outlook Express. (After initial failure with both Outlook
                                    >> and O.Express, I continue testing only with Express now).
                                    >>
                                    >> So frankly I do not believe that Outlook Express really supports LOGIN
                                    >> mechanism...
                                    >
                                    > I fiddled with Outlook 2002 (don't have Express) and my Postfix setup
                                    > which is also running Dovecot for both IMAP and SASL and the only way I
                                    > was able to get the Outlook not to send the AUTH command is if I turned
                                    > off the "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" check box.
                                    > Are these Windows machines that are trying to connect personal machines
                                    > or are they setup in some sort of managed environment where perhaps
                                    > something is overriding that setting? I don't know enough about Outlook
                                    > to suggest where to look for that sort of thing.
                                    >
                                    > Oh and Outlook 2002 does handle PLAIN only (but it prefers LOGIN if both
                                    > are offered) so that's definitely not the issue.

                                    Hi,
                                    i have postfix, saslauthd , mysql, dovecot running on
                                    many servers ( suse 10.1), i have no problem, using
                                    outlook express, outlook, thunderbird
                                    ( latest versions )
                                    whatever pop3, imap, imaps, pop3s
                                    smtp, smtps
                                    with virtual domain postfixadmin
                                    so in my eyses problems are a configure issue
                                    i configured saslauthd to ask imap dovecot with plaintext passwords
                                    ( plain is not not nice but needed for other stuff in my case )
                                    Regards and happy new year

                                    --
                                    Diese Nachricht wurde auf Viren und andere gefährliche Inhalte untersucht
                                    und ist - aktuelle Virenscanner vorausgesetzt - sauber.