Re: virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem after rejection from server

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2006
      Rob Burris wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I've been seeing these strange emails like the following in my queue.
      >
      > 2D545472B7 3443 Fri Dec 15 05:23:24 clich?dobverse@...
      > 7419C472BF 2133 Tue Dec 19 10:22:13 d?railleur'sPickford@...

      seems like backscatter... see the BACKSCATTER_README.

      > The recipient is a virtual alias which forwards to a hotmail account.
      > Hotmail rejects the message.
      >
      > (host mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.245.40] said: 501 Invalid Address (in
      > reply to MAIL FROM command))
      >
      > Now these emails stay in my queue and have to be manually deleted. It
      > seems postfix still attempts to deliver the message. Or maybe there is
      > something wrong with my configuration.
      >
      > virtual_alias_maps map lookup problem for
      > clich?dobverse@...
      >
      > I'm not sure if it's necessary to post my entire config.

      In particular, send output of 'postconf -n'. Also, when you post logs,
      post full log lines.

      > It would be nice to have the message rejected if there are no valid
      > recipients or aliases instead having to manually delete the message.

      by default, postfix rejects mail to invalid recipients, except for relay
      domains, where you need to specify the relay_recipient_maps. so show
      your postcon -n.

      also, do not use wildcards in virtual_alias_maps or canonical. This
      breaks recipient validation.