Can anyone help with this remote host error?

  • Terry Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hi again,
      Not a Postfix problem, but I'm trying to get a handle on this
      seemingly non-standard error coming back from a remote server - a
      user has emailed an address on my Postfix server, which gets
      forwarded to a remote destination - if the user emails the address
      directly, he gets a bounce as well, so I am certain it is not my end
      that is the problem, just after a bit of guidance as to where to
      start - here is the appropriate log line:

      status=bounced (host mailhost.planetdomain.com[210.50.3.210] said:
      550 "This message is from a non-existant email address." (in reply to
      RCPT TO command))

      Can anyone enlighten me here or is this just something weird
      that planetdomain, whoever they are, are doing. The user sending the
      email has no problems delivering anywhere else, or to destinations on
      my server.
      --

      Bye for now, Terry Allen
      hEARd

      Postal Address:
      hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd, Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
      Internet -
      WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
      EMAIL: hmag@...
      Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
      Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400
      Non profit promotion for new music - since 1994
    • Curtis Doty
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
        Tomorrow Terry Allen said:

        > Not a Postfix problem, but I'm trying to get a handle on this
        > seemingly non-standard error coming back from a remote server - a user has
        > emailed an address on my Postfix server, which gets forwarded to a remote
        > destination - if the user emails the address directly, he gets a bounce as
        > well, so I am certain it is not my end that is the problem, just after a bit
        > of guidance as to where to start - here is the appropriate log line:
        >
        > status=bounced (host mailhost.planetdomain.com[210.50.3.210] said:
        > 550 "This message is from a non-existant email address." (in reply to
        > RCPT TO command))
        >
        > Can anyone enlighten me here or is this just something weird that
        > planetdomain, whoever they are, are doing. The user sending the email has no
        > problems delivering anywhere else, or to destinations on my server.

        You forgot to include the sender address in question.

        If you are indeed the MX authority for that address, look more closely at
        your logs. You will notice that mailhost.planetdomain.com is doing sender
        address verification. You will see an SMTP session FROM:<> and your server
        is rejecting it.

        ../C