Re: Fail to send mail

  • Stephen Liu
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi mouss,

      - snip -

      > > I have been trying couple days and can't solve the problem.
      > >
      > > $ sudo ping -c 3 satimis.homelinux.com
      > > Password:
      > >

      > ahuh? ubuntu, while attempting to bring ease of use, has finally
      > brought
      > obscurity. Since mouss (not me) has "invented" ping, it was always
      > possible to do
      > $ ping ....
      > with no sudo.

      I tried it. Same situation, ping failed.

      B.R.
      Stephen

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
        Stephen Liu wrote:
        > Hi mouss,
        >
        > - snip -
        >

        >>> I have been trying couple days and can't solve the problem.
        >>>
        >>> $ sudo ping -c 3 satimis.homelinux.com
        >>> Password:
        >>>

        >> ahuh? ubuntu, while attempting to bring ease of use, has finally
        >> brought
        >> obscurity. Since mouss (not me) has "invented" ping, it was always
        >> possible to do
        >> $ ping ....
        >> with no sudo.
        >>

        > I tried it. Same situation, ping failed.

        sorry. it was unrelated to your problem. it was about ubuntu sudo abuse.
        but you should read the rest of my post.
      • Stephen Liu
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
          Hi mouss,

          - snip -

          > > PING satimis.homelinux.com (58.152.161.53) 56(84) bytes of data.
          > >
          > > --- satimis.homelinux.com ping statistics ---
          > > 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2000ms
          > > * end *
          > >

          > > Ping also failed.
          > >

          > If you can't ping it, it doesn't exist. blocking ping makes it next
          > impossible to debug network problems and unless your OS is broken,
          > doesn't bring much security.

          I can ping IP address of the server which, a dynamic IP, only updated
          on connection. On browser run IP address of server can browse homepage
          of the server. But with "satimis.homelinux.com" or "58.152.181.13"
          failed.
          ("58.152.181.13" is IP address asigned by dyndns.org/com at
          registration).

          Logon dyndns.org/com found server's IP updated, same as indicated on
          "ifconfig". I suspect whether dyndns.org/com has redirected the
          request on "satimis.homelinux.com"/"58.152.181.13" to the server.

          Is there anyway to check? TIA.

          > > I'm uncertain whether port 25 is blocked by ISP?
          > >

          > > However following seems proving the contrary;
          > >
          > > $ sudo telnet mail.netvigator.com 25
          > > Trying 218.102.48.214...
          > > Connected to mail.netvigator.com.
          > > Escape character is '^]'.
          > > 220 wmail02dat.netvigator.com ESMTP server (InterMail vM.6.01.03.02
          > > 201-2131-111 -104-20040324) ready Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:56:43 +0800
          > > 421 wmail02dat.netvigator.com Lost connection to [219.79.144.238]
          > > Connection closed by foreign host.
          > > * end *
          > >
          > > netvigator.com is ISP. The 220 means connected and they responded
          > and
          > > are waiting for input?
          > >

          > broken gateway-ing (218.* has problems talking to 219.*).

          What is it. Please explain in more detail. TIA.

          B.R.
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            Stephen Liu wrote:
            > Hi mouss,
            >
            > - snip -
            >

            >>> PING satimis.homelinux.com (58.152.161.53) 56(84) bytes of data.
            >>>
            >>> --- satimis.homelinux.com ping statistics ---
            >>> 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2000ms
            >>> * end *
            >>>

            >>> Ping also failed.
            >>>

            >> If you can't ping it, it doesn't exist. blocking ping makes it next
            >> impossible to debug network problems and unless your OS is broken,
            >> doesn't bring much security.
            >>

            > I can ping IP address of the server which, a dynamic IP, only updated
            > on connection. On browser run IP address of server can browse homepage
            > of the server. But with "satimis.homelinux.com" or "58.152.181.13"
            > failed.
            > ("58.152.181.13" is IP address asigned by dyndns.org/com at
            > registration).
            >
            > Logon dyndns.org/com found server's IP updated, same as indicated on
            > "ifconfig". I suspect whether dyndns.org/com has redirected the
            > request on "satimis.homelinux.com"/"58.152.181.13" to the server.
            >
            > Is there anyway to check? TIA.

            Try connecting from an external IP. you can use dnsstuff site to check
            the DNS configuration.

            Anyway, using a dynamic IP as an MX is unsafe. a host that uses cached
            information will deliver your mail to another server (the one that
            ingerits your previous IP) and if the latter accepts this mail, they get
            _your_ mail.

            Better use an external service and use fetchmail to download your
            messages and pass them to your postfix.

            >>> I'm uncertain whether port 25 is blocked by ISP?
            >>>

            >>> However following seems proving the contrary;
            >>>
            >>> $ sudo telnet mail.netvigator.com 25
            >>> Trying 218.102.48.214...
            >>> Connected to mail.netvigator.com.
            >>> Escape character is '^]'.
            >>> 220 wmail02dat.netvigator.com ESMTP server (InterMail vM.6.01.03.02
            >>> 201-2131-111 -104-20040324) ready Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:56:43 +0800
            >>> 421 wmail02dat.netvigator.com Lost connection to [219.79.144.238]
            >>> Connection closed by foreign host.
            >>> * end *
            >>>
            >>> netvigator.com is ISP. The 220 means connected and they responded
            >>>
            >> and
            >>
            >>> are waiting for input?
            >>>

            >> broken gateway-ing (218.* has problems talking to 219.*).
            >>

            > What is it. Please explain in more detail. TIA.

            The server says "220" followed by "421" and closes the session, with no
            command sent by you. This is not how SMTP works.
          • Stephen Liu
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
              Hi mouss,

              Tks for your advice.

              > Try connecting from an external IP. you can use dnsstuff site to
              > check
              > the DNS configuration.

              I requested my friends (2 friends) to make tests. Unfortunately they
              run Win98 and can only test "ping" on DOS "Command Prompt" window.

              C:\>ping satimis.homelinux.com
              Pinging satimis.homelinux.com [58.152.181.13] with 32 bytes of data:
              Request timed out.
              Request timed out.
              Request timed out.
              * end *

              C:\>ping 58.152.181.13
              Pinging 58.152.181.13 with 32 bytes of data:
              Request timed out.
              Request timed out.
              Request timed out.
              Request timed out.
              Ping statistics for 58.152.181.13:
              * end *

              "58.152.181.13" is the IP address asigned to satimis.homelinux.com by
              DYNDNS.ORG/COM at time of registration.

              They can ping the IP address of my server at connection (My server is
              not always up, only switched on during testing. On next boot another
              IP address will be asigned on connection)

              Logon DYNDNS.ORG/COM site and found IP address there has been updated,
              exactly the same as display on "ifconfig".

              I suspect whether DYNDNS.ORG/COM has redirected the request made on
              "satimis.homelinux.com" to my server. Is there anyway to check ? TIA

              Unfortunate they can't find "telnet" on DOS "Command Prompt" window to
              continue the test.

              > Anyway, using a dynamic IP as an MX is unsafe. a host that uses
              > cached
              > information will deliver your mail to another server (the one that
              > ingerits your previous IP) and if the latter accepts this mail, they
              > get
              > _your_ mail.
              >
              > Better use an external service and use fetchmail to download your
              > messages and pass them to your postfix.

              Tks for your advice. This is only a test. It is rarely sending mail
              from a mail server to another mail server.

              In case of need for further test sending mail to another mail server.
              I'll try smarthost. Tks.

              > >> broken gateway-ing (218.* has problems talking to 219.*).
              > >>

              > > What is it. Please explain in more detail. TIA.
              > >

              > The server says "220" followed by "421" and closes the session, with
              > no
              > command sent by you. This is not how SMTP works.

              Noted with tks.

              B.R.
              Stephen

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                Stephen Liu wrote:
                > Logon DYNDNS.ORG/COM site and found IP address there has been updated,
                > exactly the same as display on "ifconfig".
                >
                > I suspect whether DYNDNS.ORG/COM has redirected the request made on
                > "satimis.homelinux.com" to my server. Is there anyway to check ? TIA

                use dnsstuff site (or other dns checking sites). These will tell you
                what the "world" sees. (they may also use cached data, but the rest of
                the world also sees cached data in general).

                > Unfortunate they can't find "telnet" on DOS "Command Prompt" window to
                > continue the test.

                windows has a telnet command, but it's annoying. there are a lot of free
                alternatives anyway.

                >> Anyway, using a dynamic IP as an MX is unsafe. a host that uses
                >> cached
                >> information will deliver your mail to another server (the one that
                >> ingerits your previous IP) and if the latter accepts this mail, they
                >> get
                >> _your_ mail.
                >>
                >> Better use an external service and use fetchmail to download your
                >> messages and pass them to your postfix.
                >>

                > Tks for your advice. This is only a test. It is rarely sending mail
                > from a mail server to another mail server.
                >
                > In case of need for further test sending mail to another mail server.
                > I'll try smarthost. Tks.

                note that I was not talking about sending, but about ***receiving***
              • Stephen Liu
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Hi mouss,

                  I registered another domain "satimis.freeddns.com". This domain is
                  working, ping being possible.

                  I suppose "satimis.homelinux.com" having problem. I sent "dyndns.com"
                  a mail on unable to ping but without reply.

                  > use dnsstuff site (or other dns checking sites). These will tell you
                  > what the "world" sees. (they may also use cached data, but the rest
                  > of the world also sees cached data in general).

                  Ran "ShieldsUp" on;
                  http://www.grc.com/default.htm

                  scanning ISP' port 25, 80 and 8080

                  port 25
                  Results from probe of port: 25
                  1 Ports Open
                  0 Ports Closed
                  0 Ports Stealth
                  1 Ports Tested

                  THE PORT tested was found to be: OPEN.
                  TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                  - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                  - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

                  port 80
                  Stealth http
                  World Wide Web HTTP

                  Results from probe of port: 80
                  0 Ports Open
                  0 Ports Closed
                  1 Ports Stealth
                  1 Ports Tested

                  THE PORT tested was found to be: STEALTH.

                  TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                  - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                  - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

                  port 8080
                  OPEN! http-alt
                  HTTP Alternate (see port 80 and port 81)

                  Results from probe of port: 8080
                  1 Ports Open
                  0 Ports Closed
                  0 Ports Stealth
                  1 Ports Tested

                  THE PORT tested was found to be: OPEN.

                  TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                  - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                  - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
                  * end *

                  > windows has a telnet command, but it's annoying. there are a lot of
                  > free alternatives anyway.

                  My friend on WinXP box can browse the homepage of my server with;
                  "satimis.freeddns.com:8080"

                  "satimis.freeddns.com"
                  "satimis.freeddns.com:80"
                  did not work.

                  C:\>ping -n 3 satimis.freeddns.com[code]
                  Pinging satimis.freeddns.com [219.79.145.110] with 32 bytes of data:

                  Ping statistics for 219.79.145.110:
                  * end *

                  C:\>telnet satimis.freeddns.com
                  Connecting To satimis.freeddns.com...Could not open connection to the
                  host, on port 23.
                  No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
                  it.

                  C:\>telnet satimis.freeddns.com 25
                  Connecting To satimis.freeddns.com...Could not open connection to the
                  host, on port 25.
                  A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not
                  properly respond after a period of time, or established connection
                  failed because connected host has failed to respond.

                  Performed following test on server

                  # cat /etc/postfix/main.cf
                  #myorigin = /etc/mailname

                  smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
                  biff = no
                  append_dot_mydomain = no

                  #delay_warning_time = 4h
                  # TLS parameters
                  smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
                  smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
                  smtpd_use_tls = yes
                  smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                  btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
                  smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache

                  # See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package
                  for
                  # information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

                  #myhostname = server1.example.com
                  myhostname = mail.satimis.freeddns.com
                  mydomain = satimis.freeddns.com
                  alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                  alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                  #myorigin = /etc/mailname
                  #mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names
                  myorigin = $myhostname
                  #relayhost = satimis.homelinux.com
                  mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24
                  mailbox_size_limit = 0
                  recipient_delimiter = +
                  inet_interfaces = all
                  inet_protocols = all
                  smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
                  smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
                  broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
                  smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                  permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
                  smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
                  smtp_use_tls = yes
                  smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
                  smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
                  smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
                  smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                  smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
                  tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
                  mailbox_command =
                  home_mailbox = Maildir/
                  virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable
                  * end *

                  # telnet localhost 25
                  Trying 127.0.0.1...
                  Connected to localhost.satimis.freeddns.com.
                  Escape character is '^]'.
                  This is a test
                  .
                  250 Ok: queued as AAA0A75406D
                  quit
                  221 Bye
                  * end *

                  Failed.

                  # cat /var/log/mail.log
                  Dec 6 08:41:12 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/smtpd[5977]: connect from
                  localhost.satimis.freeddns.com[127.0.0.1]
                  Dec 6 08:42:37 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/smtpd[5977]: AAA0A75406D:
                  client=localhost.satimis.freeddns.com[127.0.0.1]
                  Dec 6 08:43:03 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/cleanup[5980]: AAA0A75406D:
                  message-id=<20061206004237.AAA0A75406D@...>
                  Dec 6 08:43:03 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: AAA0A75406D:
                  from=<satimis@...>, size=428, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                  Dec 6 08:43:03 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: AAA0A75406D: to=<satimis@...>,
                  relay=none, delay=45, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended:
                  connect to e.mx.mail.yahoo.com[216.39.53.1]: Connection timed out)
                  Dec 6 08:44:18 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/smtpd[5977]: disconnect from
                  localhost.satimis.freeddns.com[127.0.0.1]
                  Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/cleanup[6007]: 9245F754072:
                  message-id=<20061206004521.9245F754072@...>
                  Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: 9245F754072:
                  from=<satimis@...>, size=536, nrcpt=1 (queue
                  active)
                  Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/local[6008]: fatal: gethostbyname: Success
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: premature end-of-input on
                  private/local socket while reading input attribute name
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: private/local socket: malformed
                  response
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: transport local failure -- see a
                  previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/master[5064]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/local pid
                  6008 exit status 1
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/master[5064]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/local: bad command
                  startup -- throttling
                  Dec 6 08:45:22 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: 9245F754072:
                  to=<root@...>, orig_to=<root>, relay=none,
                  delay=1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: unknown mail
                  transport error)
                  Dec 6 08:48:13 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/cleanup[6020]: 9951F754075:
                  message-id=<20061206004813.9951F754075@...>
                  Dec 6 08:48:13 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: 9951F754075:
                  from=<satimis@...>, size=536, nrcpt=1 (queue
                  active)
                  Dec 6 08:48:13 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/local[6021]: fatal: gethostbyname: Success
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: premature end-of-input on
                  private/local socket while reading input attribute name
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: private/local socket: malformed
                  response
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: warning: transport local failure -- see a
                  previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/master[5064]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/local pid
                  6021 exit status 1
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/master[5064]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/local: bad command
                  startup -- throttling
                  Dec 6 08:48:14 #ubuntu
                  mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: 9951F754075:
                  to=<root@...>, orig_to=<root>, relay=none,
                  delay=1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: unknown mail
                  transport error)
                  * end *

                  # iptables -L
                  Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
                  target prot opt source destination

                  Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
                  target prot opt source destination
                  TCPMSS tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN tcpmss
                  match
                  1400:1536 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU

                  Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
                  target prot opt source destination
                  * end *

                  Others noted with tks.

                  B.R.
                  Stephen

                  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Stephen Liu wrote:
                    > Hi mouss,
                    >
                    > I registered another domain "satimis.freeddns.com". This domain is
                    > working, ping being possible.
                    >
                    > I suppose "satimis.homelinux.com" having problem. I sent "dyndns.com"
                    > a mail on unable to ping but without reply.

                    dyndns don't care about ping. To verify DNS configuration, use
                    - host or nslookup on your machine(s) to have a local view
                    - then, use an external site, like
                    http://www.dnsreport.com/
                    http://www.dnsstuff.com/
                    http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheckdomainf.aspx
                    http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

                    To test for "connectivity", use ping, traceroute, ... etc, with IP
                    addresses, not with hostnames.

                    >> s has a telnet command, but it's annoying. there are a lot of
                    >> free alternatives anyway.
                    >>

                    > My friend on WinXP box can browse the homepage of my server with;
                    > "satimis.freeddns.com:8080"
                    >
                    > "satimis.freeddns.com"
                    > "satimis.freeddns.com:80"
                    > did not work.

                    there are many possibilities here (firewall blocks traffic to port 80,
                    ISP blocks traffic to port 80, apache misconfigured. check apache logs).
                    but this has nothing to do with postfix.

                    > Performed following test on server
                    >
                    > # cat /etc/postfix/main.cf

                    always send output of 'psoctonf -n', not part or all of main.cf.
                    > myhostname = mail.satimis.freeddns.com

                    Use:

                    myhostname = satimis.freeddns.com

                    > [snip]
                    > mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: AAA0A75406D: to=<satimis@...>,
                    > relay=none, delay=45, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended:
                    > connect to e.mx.mail.yahoo.com[216.39.53.1]: Connection timed out)

                    good luck trying to post to yahoo from a resedential IP. use a transport
                    entry to relay via your ISP. same goes for many large ISPs.
                    > Dec 6 08:44:18 #ubuntu
                    > mail postfix/smtpd[5977]: disconnect from
                    > localhost.satimis.freeddns.com[127.0.0.1]
                    > Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                    > mail postfix/cleanup[6007]: 9245F754072:
                    > message-id=<20061206004521.9245F754072@...>
                    > Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                    > mail postfix/qmgr[5562]: 9245F754072:
                    > from=<satimis@...>, size=536, nrcpt=1 (queue
                    > active)
                    > Dec 6 08:45:21 #ubuntu
                    > mail postfix/local[6008]: fatal: gethostbyname: Success

                    fix your hostname and try again.