Odd reject message

  • Hrvoje Habjanić
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi!

      I found that on one of my servers, queue is full of messages with 550 reject
      error. At first, i was puzzled why would message with 550 error end up i
      queue, instead of rejected. After a short time, i found out that destination
      server is sending quite strange 550 error message:

      # telnet 65.24.7.64 25
      Trying 65.24.7.64...
      Connected to 65.24.7.64.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      550-clmboh-mx-10.mgw.rr.com
      550 ERROR: Mail Refused - x.x.x.x - See http://securit...

      I did read through rfc, and i think this isn't correct response code to
      connect, but i would like to others verify this.

      H.
    • Tony Earnshaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hrvoje Habjanić wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > I found that on one of my servers, queue is full of messages with 550 reject
        > error. At first, i was puzzled why would message with 550 error end up i
        > queue, instead of rejected. After a short time, i found out that destination
        > server is sending quite strange 550 error message:
        >
        > # telnet 65.24.7.64 25
        > Trying 65.24.7.64...
        > Connected to 65.24.7.64.
        > Escape character is '^]'.
        > 550-clmboh-mx-10.mgw.rr.com
        > 550 ERROR: Mail Refused - x.x.x.x - See http://securit...
        >
        > I did read through rfc, and i think this isn't correct response code to
        > connect, but i would like to others verify this.

        Hmmm ... they obviously don't like you for some reason:

        1027 [root:tru.leerlingen] /root # telnet 65.24.7.64 25
        Trying 65.24.7.64...
        Connected to clmboh-mx-10.mgw.rr.com (65.24.7.64).
        Escape character is '^]'.
        220-clmboh-mx-10.mgw.rr.com ESMTP
        220 Welcome to Road Runner. NO UCE *** FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY! ***
        quit
        221 clmboh-mx-10.mgw.rr.com
        Connection closed by foreign host.

        FWIW this site has a CIDR REJECT block on 65.24.0.0/14 (Road Runner
        HoldCo LLC) and turns away tons of spam, but they still like us :)

        --Tonni

        --
        Tonni Earnshaw
        tonni @ barlaeus.nl
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          You should post (or at least read) the URL that they replied to you
          with, it almost certainly has the information on why your mail was
          rejected (and perhaps how to get removed from their blacklist).
          Unless, of course, you didn't truncate that URL and they are actually
          sending you "550 ERROR: Mail Refused - x.x.x.x - See http://
          securit...", in which case......

          As far as the validity of sending back a 550 response before you even
          issue [EH]{2}LO, well, it's definitely better than just dropping the
          SMTP connection without sending ANY reply (as some anti-UCE products
          do). I'm not sure if it's RFC-compliant, perhaps someone else can
          comment?

          -Adam